cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Can a 'joint' copper telephone line slow down speeds?

Go to solution

Hi, 

So the other day we had an Openreach engineer intentionally cut our telephone line, rather than tightening it, as it was low hanging over the street... but they did not come back to fix it. 

When someone does get around to fixing it, I am concerned that they will just 'join' the telephone cable together via a scotch joint or something. Can this cause any kind loss in the signal, and subsequently slower broadband speeds. Every megabit matters to us. 

Is there anything I should look out for during the repair? I have very little faith for Openreach at this point. 

Many thanks in advance. 

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Can a 'joint' copper telephone line slow down speeds?

Go to solution

They won't just join it, they will provide a new drop wire but they may well join it to the old one where it enters the house (there may already be a join there anyway). This will be done using proper crimps and an enclosure and will have absolutely no effect whatsoever on your speed.

Message 3 of 3

Re: Can a 'joint' copper telephone line slow down speeds?

Go to solution

Have you reported your phone line as no dial tone to BT?

The engineer who responded to the wire down would only have to make it safe by cutting it down. 

No one automatically returns to replace it. 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.