cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Can anyone explain my consistent data speeds please

on BT smarthub 2.  I can't get my head round it.

Screenshot_20210615-123337_Chrome.jpg

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Can anyone explain my consistent data speeds please

you are on adslmax where the max speed is 8mb down and 448kbps up.  from stats looks like you have max speed for adslmax

enter your phone number and post results  remember delete nimber

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 9

@imjolly many thanks for your reply.   Apologies,  I was totally confused & didn't realise 448kbps was the upload speed (I hoped it might have explained why my broadband is so sluggish, but not so!).

Anyway, thanks, I'll try and insert screenshot of results of the test you suggested 

Screenshot_20210615-152909_Chrome.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

from checker results adsl2 is available to you but unlikely to give you any better down connection speed but would probably give about 100% increase in up speed.  adsl2 is bit more aggressive on any line noise so on your longish line may cause problems

if you think adsl2 would help you then mods may be able to help.  it may involve new contract but mods would advise

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 5 of 9

@imjolly  yesterday afternoon,  the SH2 had a dropped connection, & since then it appears to have reset itself to run at 5.4mbps download speed, pretty frustrating as obviously Wi-Fi speeds are worse than this.   I've had it happen very, very temporarily before, but not for 17 hours & counting... do you know where the 'fault' may lay, i.e. the router itself, or not?

DSL uptime:0 days,17 Hours11 Mins54 Secs

Data rate:448 Kbps / 5.472 Mbps

Maximum data rate:1.264 Mbps / 5.816 Mbps

Many thanks again 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Hi @Biscuit2,

Thank you for posting. With everything you've posted, it does look like you're on a long line and a good bit away from the exchange. At 5.4 Mbps your line is still running close to the estimated maximum for the line.

You could try running a quiet line test by dialling 17070 from your BT Landline. If using a corded phone then the test should be quiet, if you are using a cordless phone then you may hear a low hum. Any noise could indicate a potential line fault that would affect the Broadband.

You could increase the upload speed as @imjolly by moving to ADSL2.

Thanks,

Paddy

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

@PaddyB , @JohnC2 

Thanks for the reply, Paddy

Yes we're on a long line - but we usually get a better speed than 5.4, it usually runs at about 8mbps at the hub.

I've done a quiet line test today, and I would definitely say there's some crackling on the line,  though not so loud as the original fault in Jan.

What should we do, please, as I'm afraid we've had too many engineer visits already?  I think you'd have to be pretty deaf not to be able to hear the crackling noise, though.

Thanks for your help. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Hi @Biscuit2,

Thank you for posting back. If you can hear crackling on the line, this would indicate there is a fault and this would have an effect on the Broadband. If you send me your details, we'll be able to run a few checks on your line.

I have sent you a private message with instructions on how to contact the team.  You can access your messages via the envelope icon at the top right of the screen, or click on this link, Private messages

Thanks,

Paddy

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

@PaddyB  Thanks Paddy, will do

0 Ratings