Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
simon3142
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Can you use a non BT router with BT broadband

Go to solution

I would like to set a a netgear 2200 router as a spare in case my BT router goes wrong.

I have used a similar netgear router with BT in the past with no problems however now when I try to set up the netgrear router, connection is refused. Has there been a change in policy so ony BT routers are allowed?

These are the settings I am trying to use:

Anything@btbroardband.com
Password: not needed
Encapsulation: PPoA or PPoATM
Muliplexing: VC-based or VC Mux
VPI: 0 (zero)
VCI: 38
Authentication: CHAP
Modulation: G.DMT
DNS: auto

Simon

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Can you use a non BT router with BT broadband

Go to solution

try bthomehub@btbroadband.com

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
simon3142
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Thank you, that worked. In the past it didn't matter what you put in front of the @ sign.

I got no help on this from the BT help desk, just you can't do it.

0 Ratings
outback3012
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

I am using a Netgear D7000 that replaced a faulty HomeHub. BT help desk refused to help with setup as it wasn't their equipment. They expected me to remain offline for the four days it took for a BT router to arrive. BT Home Hub is now a spare in case there is a future fault.

Username is homehub@btbroadband.com you may need to enter a password, if so, just use BT.

That worked for me

OB

0 Ratings
simon3142
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

I didn't need any password this time.

I feel tempted to ue the netgear router too, I have found them very reliable in the past and my BT router needs to be reset occasionally when the wifi goes wrong.

0 Ratings