Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ljm
Expert
Message 1 of 10

Cannot OPT OUT of BT Wifi

Go to solution

Hello everyone,

Following a Firmware Update, and a Factory Reset which i did, i was auomatically Opted In to BTWifi.  This always happens.  I went to the BTWifi Status Page and Opted Out cos i don't want it.

However, 48 hrs. has passed (which they say you should give to disable it) and my Hub Manager etc is still showing ACTIVE.

I remember once seeing a post about this issue and someone suggested Opting In again and then back Out again but the problem is that on the Status Page there is no option to do this.  There is only an option to Opt Out which i've already done............ no option to Opt back in again to try the suggestion.

God knows why BT make it so difficult!!  Where do i go from here please?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Dippu
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: Cannot OPT OUT of BT Wifi

Go to solution

If you Opt In  (Register for BT Fi) in the follwoing link: https://www.bt.com/wifi/secure/index.do?s_cid=con_FURL_btwifi&utm_source=ATL&utm_medium=FURL&utm_con...

and then give it 24 hours and then Opt out using Check My Status (top box), will see an option to Opt out once you press Check My Status.

This has worked for me a few time and everytime it has taken about 48 hours.

0 Ratings
graeme2507
Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Hi @Dippu

Do you know whether I'd be able to use BT Wi-Fi when I'm out and about if I've opted out (i.e. turned it off on my router).

I want to make sure the low speed/bandwidth I get at home aren't impacted by sharing what little there is with someone else.  Also, I seem to have very high data usage figures considering how much I use my broadband and hopefully opting out will eliminate any use that isn't my own.

Cheers.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Dippu
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution
If you Opt out then you will not be able to use BT WiFi when out and about. If you want to use this facility then one way around it is by using a cheap third party router and stay Opted in.
0 Ratings
graeme2507
Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks @Dippu - I thought as much.

Cheers

0 Ratings
ljm
Expert
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution
Thanks very much Dippu. Will try it out .
0 Ratings
ljm
Expert
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Hi Dippu,

Just to let you know it's worked, thanks!

0 Ratings
beetjam99
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

I don't think there is any real long term way of controlling this frankly.

I enjoyed at least 2 web chats to get 'BT Wi-Fi' disabled on my own Home Hub, both agents promised it would be done within 24 hours, this is after waiting the 30 days since opting out - nothing has changed ever.

Today my router has had a new firmware, still showing I am opted in to 'BT Wi-Fi' - shame they can't include an option to simply untick it in the router admin page right? There is no reasonable or logical excuse other than they just don't want you to disable it.

The only real solution is to use a different router I suppose.

I am still shocked by their agents lack of any real interest in the issue, it seems to take them 4-5 minutes to look at this, look at that, then another 5 minutes to connect into the router and make the change.. which doesn't take effect.. ye ok.. more like they are juggling 3 customers at the same time and you dare to ask about that silly setting in your BT router.. I'm sure they'll just hide the 'BT Wi-Fi' item in the admin page next to stop people from asking.

They sure are amusing.

J

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

@graeme2507wrote:

Hi @Dippu

Do you know whether I'd be able to use BT Wi-Fi when I'm out and about if I've opted out (i.e. turned it off on my router).

I want to make sure the low speed/bandwidth I get at home aren't impacted by sharing what little there is with someone else.  Also, I seem to have very high data usage figures considering how much I use my broadband and hopefully opting out will eliminate any use that isn't my own.

Cheers.

Sorry I'm late replying, but I'm afraid you've slightly misunderstood how BTWifi works.

It does NOT count towards any usage limit you have. Also it shouldn't impact on your speeds that much, especially if you're using it - though some have indicated it might under some condition.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

@beetjam99 Please send me over your details using the contact the mods link and we'll be happy to help you opt out of the BT Wifi service. You can find the link by clicking on my username.

Thanks

Neil

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings