cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Stdomingo
Message 1 of 15

Cat5e extension

Hi there. I have a master socket in an upstairs bedroom. I want my router downstairs. Can I simply replace the current RJ11 to RJ45 cable that goes from master socket to router (it's a filtered faceplate) with a long RJ45 to RJ45 Cat5e cable.? Approx 15m
0 Ratings
14 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Cat5e extension

The modem cable from filtered face plate to router is rj11 both ends but you can run a longer rj11 cable

you can use the terminals inside filtered master and run a data extension cable to a new socket

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Stdomingo
Message 3 of 15

Thanks for the reply. I realise my mistake. I have a long Cat5e cable RJ45 both ends. I also have one of these: 

RJ45 Gigabit Ethernet Extension Socket - Cat5e/Cat6 Tool-less IDC Terminals

So can I plug one end of the cable ( RJ45) into the VDSL socket on the faceplate and cut off the connector at the other end and attach it to the extension socket? And then use the current router cable from there?
Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

Just connect 1 pair of the CAT5 cable to the data extension terminals of the master and pins 2&5 of the extension socket. You will need to use a filter in the extension to convert from phone socket to RJ11. Alternatively, if you don't want telephony at the extension, just fit an RJ11 faceplate instead of extension phone faceplate and connect directly to that.

Please remove link to e-commerce site, it is against forum rules.

0 Ratings
Stdomingo
Message 5 of 15

Thank you liquorice. As you can tell I'm not knowledgeable on this. Can I ask a few follow up questions.

1. If I connect Cat5e cable to data extension terminals on master socket (marked A&B) is that signal then filtered?

2. At the other end can I not just plug my RJ11 from the router cable into the RJ45 extension socket I've already got?

I don't need telephony at the other end and I don't need a faceplate.

If it makes any difference I have a 5c master socket with mk4 VDSL faceplate

P.s. thanks for the heads up on the commercial link. I can't easily see how to edit a post but I'll keep looking.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

depends on which master you have  A&B and the normal connections for incoming openreach cable and connecting extension there will cause star wiring and not good for your broadband  need to stick to data extension terminals

this shows correct connections  https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/helpandsupport/how-toguides/howtoguides/downloads/NTE5C_Instru...

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 15

@Stdomingo wrote:
Thank you liquorice. As you can tell I'm not knowledgeable on this. Can I ask a few follow up questions.

1. If I connect Cat5e cable to data extension terminals on master socket (marked A&B) is that signal then filtered? Yes

2. At the other end can I not just plug my RJ11 from the router cable into the RJ45 extension socket I've already got? Yes

I don't need telephony at the other end and I don't need a faceplate.

If it makes any difference I have a 5c master socket with mk4 VDSL faceplate

P.s. thanks for the heads up on the commercial link. I can't easily see how to edit a post but I'll keep looking.
Just realised date and time of your post. You can only edit a post for 1 hour after posting. The mods will probably edit it if they spot it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 15

0 Ratings
mychips
Contributor
Message 9 of 15

I am just updating my cable at the moment and you can fit (Lots of details about this on YouTube, Google etc) an RJ45 in the BTOpenreach socket but it does have to be a RJ11 at the modem end. These cables can be got directly from ebay or amazon etc and could even go down the line of Cat6 versions. 

I use mainly Cat6 and Cat7 for my updating to future proof my equipment as I have internal and external Plex media systems and home server with NAS setups.

So in answer to your question YES you can have a RJ45 at the Openreach socket but must be a RJ11 at the modem end.

Hope that helps

0 Ratings
Stdomingo
Message 10 of 15

Thanks for the link to the how to guide. So I think I have two options?

1. Use one pair of the cat5 cables into the connector on the back of the Mk4 faceplate (the red connector in bottom picture on the guide you linked to). This will provide a filtered broadband signal.

Or

2. Connect a pair of the cat 5 cables to the 5&2 slots on the NTE5c master socket. The blue connector on the guide you linked to. This will give me an unfiltered signal.

At the other end I don't need telephony so I can either go with option 1 and connect to an RJ11 faceplate for my modem cable (no need for filter) or go with option 2 and use a micro filter.

I thought the mk4 faceplate was a better filter than the microfilters so I'm thinking option 1.

Have I got it now?
Thanks

0 Ratings