Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shentonio
Contributor
Message 1 of 28

Changed router from BY Voyager 220v, now unable to connect

Go to solution

Hello all

My Mum has had BT Broadband using the old BT Voayager 220v router for many years, but it has recently packed in so I thought I would get the following ADSL router from Maplin as a replacement:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/4-port-adsl-modem-router-222202

My Mum's PC is very old, so I had to find a router that could connect via USB (her PC has no ethernet ports)!

Now I'm not an expert by any means, but I thought I would be able to set it up to replace the old router without any problems.

After installing the relevant USB driver software, the disk that came with the router says that the router should be configured to work with any ISP.

I have followed all the steps, and the light on the router says it is connected to the internet. Also, when I have checked the list of connections on the PC is shows the router is connected fine.

Unfortunately each time I try to connect to the internet I just get a DNS error  Smiley Sad

Am I missing something simple, or is this the wrong type of router for the job? I have tried setting up the router manually without any joy.

I have searched the forums for a solution without any joy, and any help that you guys can provide would be most helpful.

I don't have immediate access to my Mum's PC, so it might be a few days before I can post back with any findings.

Thanking you in advance.

Lee  Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
27 REPLIES 27
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 28

Re: Changed router from BY Voyager 220v, now unable to connect

Go to solution

You need to make sure that there is a login name and password entered in somewhere, probably in the connection setup.

Use Login name     broadbanduser@btbroadband.com

Password  BT

Without that, you will not get Internet access.

0 Ratings
shentonio
Contributor
Message 3 of 28

Go to solution

Thanks Keith, I will give that a go when I visit tomorrow.

I seem to remember during setup that they asked for a password, but when I went through the process I used my brother's e-mail address with his actual sign in password (and not BT).

I will give this a go and let you knwo how I get on.

Thanks again  Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 28

Go to solution

That will not work, it simply needs to be the generic one that I gave, as it has to end in @btbroadband.com

Its the same login for all users, as authentication is done against the phone line.

Just use the one I gave you, and it should be fine.

0 Ratings
shentonio
Contributor
Message 5 of 28

Go to solution
Hello again. I tried using the details you mentioned but I am still unable to connect to the web. I am still getting the message saying that Internet Explorer cannot display the page. I have checked the Network Connections and it shows the following:

TRENDCHIP USB ADSL Modem
Connected, Firewalled

I have tried to repair the connection without any luck.

Is the modem I am using right for the job, or is there something else that isn't quite right? Thanks again
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 28

Go to solution

Its difficult to know what to suggest, as very few people use USB modems as most computers have a wireless or network card.

Its possible there is another option which is incorrect. What settings can you change during the setup, and what have you set them to?

0 Ratings
shentonio
Contributor
Message 7 of 28

Go to solution
Ok, when you put the start up disc in it asks you to install the USB drivers (which I have done).
It then asks you to click on Quick Setup to go through the following options:
Select country: United Kingdom
Select ISP: British Telecom
User Name (ISP account): broadbanduser@btbroadband.com
Password (ISP account): bt
Password confirm: bt

After taking these steps it says the router has been configured correctly. I have tried to connect to the internet and get the usual message saying that it is unable to connect.

I was looking for the most cost effective way of getting them back online (ie wihout the need to buy a new PC)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 28

Go to solution
if possible it may be a better option to try and fit a network card in the pc then you could use any conventional router /hub as turning the hub on and off each time the exchange equipment is going to see the line as unstable and could start reducing the connection speed
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 28

Go to solution

have you considered buying a network card <£10 from well known aution site and fitting it into the pc.  that way you could have a better ethernet connection and plug and play

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
shentonio
Contributor
Message 10 of 28

Go to solution
Hi guys, thanks for the responses. A few things to bear in mind before I look into buying a network card:
My Mum's PC is about 8-10 years old, so is a network card a feasible solution?
I have opened up my Mum's PC before, so is installing a network card a simple procedure?
I'm assuming that the router on the link I have posted would be compatible with a network card if I bought one?
Thanks again for your replies 🙂
0 Ratings