cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BarryB2
Beginner
Message 1 of 17

Congestion - help is there anything we can do??

Hi - really hoping someone can help with this..

For several years now we have had ongoing internet problems. Typically this is a drop in overall performance (some times total or intermittent loss) and further performance dips during busy periods. I have lost count of the number of times that we (and our neighbours) have had engineers out to "fix" faults. However, on every occassion the fix provides only temporary relief, and quite often results in a knock-on fault for one of the neighbours. I currently have an open complaint with BT following a recent drop in service and 2 failed attempts to "fix" things. 

We are an isolated group of houses (10) in a rural location and a reasonable distance from the main exchange so we are unlikely to obtain and don't expect impressive speeds - we also share the incoming line and cabinet with a depot office for the Environment Agency. I suspect that congestion (and/or preferential bandwidth diversion to the EA depot) could be a major factor in our restricted/poor internet service, but is there anything we can do to check or get BT or BT Wholesale to do about this? They only seem interested when there is a fault and then close the issue when it is "fixed" leaving us on a merry-go-round of frustration with seemingly no other options. 

We pay for faster broadband and have been told by BT that our line should support speeds up to 15mb. However, our download speed is typically around 4-6mb. We are currently experiencing amazing speeds of up to 7mb at present due to combination of the recent cabinet "fixes" and an upgraded router. However, our upload speed is the crippling factor  - max of 0.4 and quite often around 0.2 or below. BTW speed and diagnostic test suggest we should be able to get up to 2mb/s upload speeds. I have read about moderator involvement in similar cases and really hope that something is possible in this instance. Otherwise, with an increasingly data reliant family, moving might be the only other option.

Many thanks,

Barry

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: Congestion - help is there anything we can do??

can you post stats from your router  if hh6 then advanced settings /technical log information

if hh5 then troubleshooting then helpdesk

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember delete number  http://dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

try quiet line test dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone

are you currently using the test socket with a new filter to see if that helps

can you run btspeedtester and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
BarryB2
Beginner
Message 3 of 17

Hi,

BT Diagnostic and availability checker results below - thanks.

Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)WBC FTTC Availability DateWBC SOGEA Availability DateLeft in Jumper  High Low High Low        Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)WBC FTTP Availability Date   ADSL ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date Left in JumperOther Offerings     Availability Date   Premise environmentStatus

VDSL Range A (Clean)8.951.20.83.4AvailableAvailable-- 
VDSL Range B (Impacted)8.52.31.20.51.7AvailableAvailable-- 
FTTP on Demand33030--Available---- 
WBC ADSL 2+Up to 7.5--6.5 to 8Available---- 
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 7.5Up to 16.5 to 8Available---- 
ADSL MaxUp to 7.5--6.5 to 8Available---- 
Fixed Rate2 ----Available---- 
VDSL Multicast------Available---- 
ADSL Multicast------Available---- 
Bridge TapN      
VRIN      
NTEFaceplateN      
Last Test Date15-03-2018   

Results Image not loaded

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed
 7.75 Mbps

0 Mbps7.86 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 7.75 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 5.5 Mbps-7.86 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 7.86 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 0.31 Mbps

0 Mbps2 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.31Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 2 Mbps
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 17

from btspeedtester results you appear to be on fibre connection not adsl as shown by up profile of 2mb - probably confirmed by router stats

as you can see from dslchecker results you are getting about top of estmates speed due to your distance from the street cabinet and fibre is marginally better than an adsl connection again due to your distance from the exchange

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
BarryB2
Beginner
Message 5 of 17

Thanks for responses,

Pretty certain we are not on a fibre connection.

As posted, I am not dissatisfied with download speeds at present, it is the upload speeds that I am most concerned with.

Thanks,

Barry

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 17

faster broadband as it was is actually infinity fibre conenction just at the time you started package BT did not market infinity where the down speed was less than 15mb - just like yours

so I think you are on old style infinity 1 or faster broadband as it was - you cannot get a 2mb up profile on adsl conenctions with BT only fibre

0 Ratings
BarryB2
Beginner
Message 7 of 17

Thanks again for your response - you clearly know more than me so I am grateful for your knowledge, but I am unclear on your verdict regarding our connection - so some more info..

As I understand it, the main exchange in the village is fibre enabled. However the line out towards our properties is copper cable to a small cabinet beside the depot/office. The cable from this point to our property is also normal copper cable. I do not know what cable services the depot.

It is congestion/bandwidth diversion at this small cabinet that I suspect is causing our unstable connection and limiting our upload speeds. Do you think this is likely or are you suggesting that upload speeds of around 0.2-0.4 and drops in overall performance is the best we are ever likely to get?

Thanks in advance!

Barry

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 17

The cabinet you are connected to is fibre enabled and you are achieving around the best speeds your line can support

Congestion does not happen at the cabinet as every cabinet has more capacity the is needed congestion happens after the exchange on the backhaul to the internet backbone
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 17

stats from your hub would help - which version of hub do you have?

0 Ratings
BarryB2
Beginner
Message 10 of 17

Up until this week a HH5, but now have a netgear nighthawk d7000 in an attempt to mitigate upload issues using QOS functionality.

Not sure what stats are needed, but I can try and find them?

Thanks,

Barry

0 Ratings