cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CJSTONE007
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Connection Woes!

Well after 45 minutes of finding a way to post on a forum here.  Success. Round and round in circles.

After a year of constant issues with my very very poor connection I am looking to find another provider.  Unless of course someone here at the forums and not affiliated to BT can solve them.  (BT have fobbed me off with excuses time after time).  

My Download is 3.01 mb/s (unstable)  (Varies between 2.3 and 4.0)

My Upload is 0.25 (unstable)  (Varies between 0.1 and 0.46)

My Ping to Germany (for gaming) is 400ms at best, normally around 600ms

My Jitter is 4ms at best but varies immensely.

The connection speed is acceptable for general internet and gaming requirements, and just about plays a HD film with about 10 stops whilst it's buffering.  I can accept this.  It is the gaming that's killing me.  A ping of around 200ms is technically what you would expect to America however it very rarely drops below 400ms when connected to servers in London or Europe.  I have played around setting the XBox One IP addresses to be fixed and what they should be.  Also delved into the BT HomeHub 4 to open the DMZ and setup Port Forwarding.  I have spoken and had BT help mess around with the line but nothing has made any changes whatsoever.  I do not understand why the Ping is so bad and how I can manipulate it to work on my side.  As it stands I have a delay of 3-5 seconds from what is happening on screen to what is actually happening!  The XBox One has it's wired connection into the HomeHub not Wifi but it doesn't seem to make a jot of difference to any of the figures.  I am technically minded so, no I am sure it's connected correctly.  Resetting the hub doesn't do anything except change the wifi channel it's operating on from 1-11.  Diagnostics on the line state that the wifi channel has interference on every channel but I am unclear how that would affect the wired connection.  I am using the main box with only the two main wires attached inside.  The other 10 have been disconnected and tied up to stop any interference.  And yes, the ones connected are the primaries.

The main over-riding issue is why is my ping 400ms + when it should be 10ms +  What else can I do to make it so!?  Can I purchase something to clear the line or configure the routing of the signal my end.........

Yes this is a long winded explanation, but this should provide all of the infomation required.  If not - ask away!  

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Connection Woes!

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you  go to troubleshooting then wan/logs and you are looking for 2 line together when hub last connected to internet and they will show your connection speed and noise margin Then run  btspeedtester  (MAC users may have problems). when first test completes then run diagnostic test and...

can you connect to test socket or are you now connected to test socket?  are all your other sockets in your home 'dead' 

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number 

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 15

can you post a tracert to bbc.co.uk using windows command prompt
CJSTONE007
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 15

I use Mac.  Most secure Operating system that stops hackers and makes the firewall on hubs redundant.  No matter where I go Mac means I can plug and go safely.  Terminal on mac is used instead of Cmd (windows).

0 Ratings
CJSTONE007
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 15

Boom! Here we go again with rubbish!

Have you tried this have you tried this have you tried this........ I am not stupid. Do you think that a year down the line this hasn't all ben done!? This is why i'm after a Forum member not BT personell.

Are all my sockets dead?  Are you seriously asking me that!?  Look at what has been written.  I have 5 boxes in the house.  I am using the master box.  What did I state I did with the wires in the box?.................................

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

Your questions are primarily answered by other BT customers. The only employees on our community are the forum moderators and a few subject matter experts. We can easily be identified by our title underneath our username MODERATOR. The replies you will receive are from customers who's only intention is to help, so while we appreciate you have likely come to the forum because something has gone wrong and you are probably very annoyed, please don't take this out on members trying to help.

You are dealing with forum members only the forum mods are the only BT Employees and no mod has posted here

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 15

If you want help from forum members then we need information to help you and imjolly's post was doing just that asking for basic information so the forum members can help you
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 15

if you want help post some basic stats information or if you want to do it yourself that's fine - makes no difference to me

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
CJSTONE007
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 15

Ok after hours and hours of working through systems it has become evident tht the two addition wifi connections created by the Hub itself are causing huge interference in the line.  If you choose channel 40 for example the wifi connection for all three moves to channel 40 clogging the line up.  If you choose channel 36 to move from the interference it clogs tht line up because BTWIFI-with_FON and BT-Openzone are moved to that channel also creating interference!  

In essence after hours of attempting to disable the interfering lines (BT-Openzone and BTWIFI-with-FON) in the Home Hub settings it is evident that the interference in the line is self created!!!  It seems impossible to disable these lines.  I have even disabled 2.4Ghz entirely to help the 5Ghz line......  But guess what.....  Now the 5Ghz is choked with interference from BTWIFI-with-FON and BT-Openzone!!  Grrrrrr!!!!!   

How do you cut the connections here!?  It is evident that others around me are abusing the line and choking my internet!  If BT were paying me a monthly salary to provide this service to others I could understand.  Even a price reduction that would alleviate the £35 /month I pay for crappy internet!!!

I have a feeling that although using just a wired connection, because it filters through my hub these wifi additions will be impacting the line still.  If I disable the wifi entirely it seems that it is only disabled for me!  Others are still free to use my line via my homehub through wifi.  

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 15

the 2 wifi networks should not interfere with your home network and if you max out your home network connection then nobody can use the other 2 networks as you have priority

you can check http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12958/~/how-do-i-opt-out-of-bt-wi-fi%3F

if you opt out you cannot get the benefit of BTWIFI when out and about

0 Ratings