Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
willd88
Message 1 of 2

Connection dropouts - PPPoE/A and ASUS DSL-N55U as modem

Hi All,

Bit of a long intro, but its important to this issue as it points out that some info in diagnostics is not possible to find.

Essentially I am privately renting, within this house the internet is BT and has been since forever. Previously we had a home hub 3 which slowly died and was replaced by an ASUS DSL-N55U. This was fine until december when dropouts, although happened previously started to get worse and more often, they have continued to go downhill since.

I point out that I am privately renting, as the internet is supplied by the landlord and so is not in my name, we also do not have a landline in the house. Therefore I do not have access to BT account login info or the phone number.

I know we are roughly 1.5km from our exchange, and that infinity is not possible in our area:

Exchange BERMONDSEY

WBC ADSL 2+Up to 5.5--3 to 8Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 5.5Up to 13 to 8Available
ADSL MaxUp to 4--3 to 7Available
WBC Fixed Rate2----Available
Fixed Rate2----Available
Other Offerings
Copper Multicast------Available

As I am technically minded etc, I've finally convinced the landlord to let me look into this.

Having logged into the routers admin panel, I noticed that the connection was PPPoE, and MUST have been this for at least 8 months. 

AFAIK BT Broadband is PPPoA only, but it seems to connect.

I tried switching to PPPoA and, whilst the router appeard to connect, it was as if the DNS was totally not working.

So I'm looking for some guidance, what might I have missed, what might be allowing PPPoE then dropping? Why does PPPoA not work.

Yes, connected to the master socket, plugging into test makes no difference.

0 Ratings
1 REPLY 1
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 2

Re: Connection dropouts - PPPoE/A and ASUS DSL-N55U as modem

With the speed estimate  from the checker I thing you are 3km+ line length from the exchange

Adsl should be pppoA  

Is username bthomehub@btbroadband.com   password cab be anything - BT is often used

You really are need a phone to check to see if he line noise which could be cause of connection dropping  it is Internet connection nor wireless connection that is droppjng

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings