cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Connection keeps dropping out. What faceplate have I got?

Hello all,

My internet connection keeps dropping out. I have tried two routers, three filters (one brand new) and two RJ11 cables.

IMG_20170430_153910.jpg

What happens is: all of a sudden the DSL and Internet light will go out and I'll loose my connection. Then the DSL light will flash, then go off, then flash, then come solid, and then the Internet light will come on; at this point I'll have a connection again.

It seems random how long the connection will last for before the connection drops out again, but it rarely goes 30 minutes without a dropout.

Its just one computer connected via an Ethernet cable to the router, and then a couple of wireless devices.

I dont have the regular NTE5 Master Socket with a split plate, I have a double socket master socket. I've taken the socket apart and there are no extensions running from the socket I'm using.

Capture.jpg

Into the filter is also plugged a phone; I've removed this phone and the dropouts still occur.

I have used 'Net Uptime Monitor' which give an audible alert when the connection drops out, so I'm alerted everytime a dropout occurs.

The line from outside terminates in a box outside, and then a small length of wire runs to the socket inside. I presume BT's jurisdiction ends at the socket inside my house, not to the termination point on the outside of the house?

Capture2.JPG

I think I've done everything to discount anything that is my jurisdtiction being my fault. Is there anything else I can do?

I'm trying to discount everything, to minimise the chances of being charge by BT!

I have spoken with BT Faults who have advised me that they can detect no faults on the line.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Connection keeps dropping out. What faceplate have I got?

Have you tried the quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 you should hear no noise if you can hear noise then it needs reporting to BT faults on 151 with no mention of broadband in the call
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Thanks for the reply, I have tried this and the line is quiet.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

@forum wrote:

Hello all,

My internet connection keeps dropping out. I have tried two routers, three filters (one brand new) and two RJ11 cables.

The line from outside terminates in a box outside, and then a small length of wire runs to the socket inside. I presume BT's jurisdiction ends at the socket inside my house, not to the termination point on the outside of the house?

I think I've done everything to discount anything that is my jurisdtiction being my fault. Is there anything else I can do?

I'm trying to discount everything, to minimise the chances of being charge by BT!

I have spoken with BT Faults who have advised me that they can detect no faults on the line.

Its a bit of a moot point where the demarcation lies with your situation, but as the cable terminating on the socket is BT external cable, I would argue Openreach's jurisdiction extends to the internal socket. Have you looked in the outside junction box to see if there is any obvious sign of corrosion?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 8

Hi @forum,

That's one of our business hubs so I take it you have a BT Business service rather than Residential?

Our users here are very knowledgeable so they may be able to help you.

If you want to visit our business forums you can do so at the following link: BT Business Community

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

I have looked inside the external termination box and all looks ok.

Yes it's a business account. I'm already resistered on this site so i thought I'd ask a question here first 🙂

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

@forum wrote:

I have looked inside the external termination box and all looks ok.

Yes it's a business account. I'm already resistered on this site so i thought I'd ask a question here first 🙂

It looks like you have two lines. The one on the left only seems to have the incoming cable connected, and nothing else, so that would seem to indicate something external, possibly on the wall as shown.

You are probably going to have to arrange a visit, via BT Business faults.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

Welcome to the BT Residential forum

As you are a business user, please could you post on the BT Business forum at http://business.forums.bt.com/
0 Ratings