Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ed-h
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Consistently slow broadband speeds - IP Profile of 1.97 Mbps

Go to solution

For a few months now I've been getting consistently slow broadband speeds - between 1 and 2 Mbps download and 0.02 to 0.03 Mpbs upload speed. When I first moved to BT at the current address I was getting at least 4 to 6 Mbps download without any problems. It's got to the point where the broadband is unusable if there is more than one person online in the house so I'm now considering my options, but thought I'd see if anyone here can help before I move / upgrade.

Some details that might help:

• I'm circa 750m from our exchange (in a straight line)
  • I'm using a BT Home Hub 4
  • Hub is connected to the main (only!) phone socket in the house which is right by the front door
  • I'm using an ADSL splitter (the one that came with the hub)
  • I don't have a home phone (only have the line for broadband) so can't run a quiet line test

I'm also attaching screenshots of speed test results, diagnostics and router stats.

I noticed that the IP Profile for our line is 1.97 Mbps which seems very low given that in theory I should able to get 7-8 Mpbs.

Any help gratefully received!

Ed

Broadband availability

Router stats.png

Speed Test Diagnostics

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Consistently slow broadband speeds - IP Profile of 1.97 Mbps

Go to solution

try connecting with a new filter to the test socket if you have an NTE5 master  test socket.jpg

try 1 factory reset of the hub by pressing the recessed button on back and holding until lights flash

then repost your stats

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

if using a hub 4 locate these lines located in the hub logs
Lines should look like this you can locate them by using the drop down menu and select WAN
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.460000) DSL noise margin: 7.00 dB upstream, 6.10 dB downstream
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.390000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 288 Kbps downstream
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

without a phone you can't tell if you have a line noise problem which is causing the low connection speed. you can get a cheap corded phone for about £5. checking your phone line for noise can help you avoid paying £129.99 for an engineer callout if the problem is in your home or with your setup
0 Ratings
ed-h
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks for the replies.

I've got a non NTE5 master socket so no test socket for me to try, but I have tried a different filter + a hard reset of the hub which doesn't seem to have made a difference. Worth nothing that the diagnostics step of the speed test won't complete due to an error so I can't get all of the details this time round.

Screen shots of the router stats and relevant logs are attached.

Happy to go out a pick-up a cheap phone if required. Let me know if there is anything else I can try before that.

Thanks.

Speed Test Results 27.01.JPGSpeed Test Diagnostics 27.01.JPGRouter Stats 27.01.JPGRouter Logs 27.01.JPG

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

looks like a line problem but without quiet line test cannot tell if you need a phone enineer to fix a noise problem or a broadband engineer - but certainly one of them

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
ed-h
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution
OK, thanks. I'll get a phone and then comment back once I've run the quiet line test.
0 Ratings
ed-h
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution
So I went out and bought a phone, plugged it in and... nothing. Not even a dial tone. So this looks very much like a line fault. I tried running the online phone line test but it just knocks out my connection each time, so I'll give BT a call instead.

So I guess this thread can be closed. Thanks to those who replied.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution
it only shows the importance of a phone to be connected as it shows up possible faults quickly
0 Ratings