Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 34

Constant Broadband Disconnection

Hi there,

Intro

I am ComputerMaster1st and I have written this post to describe about the problem I am currently experiencing.

What is the problem?

My problem is the broadband seems to disconnect when we users start to use/access the net. It is ok for minor things like very basic websites. Anything like facebook and above gets really bad and soon start getting constant disconnections. I use Teamspeak 3 and I have it to show my ping. On idle (nobody using the internet) the ping is around 50-100ms. When one of us starts using it, it spikes badly to 4000ms+ in an instant. This cause major lag and constant disconnection of the broadband.

We are hearing lots of "static" on the line and I am aware this plays a role in the constant disconnection of the broadband. Before the switch to BT, we used the same phone line with a different ISP and everything was free and clear. However, after a few days switching to BT, we started experiencing lots of static. Source is unknown but I have a theory it is coming from the exchange.

The problem doesn't end there. When we use the phone, either we get called or we call out, the broadband disconnects instantly. This is like being on dial-up. This is bad for me as this means I am mostly offline and unable to provide support for the web/vps hosting I am with and also unable to manage my own teamspeak 3 server. Gaming is the same. If i start playing a game online, I receive a spike lag that can not be recovered from and again, face disconnection.

ADSL Statistics

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 00:10:35
Downstream:5.125 Mbps
Upstream:448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):13.6 dB / 22.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):20.6 dB / 10.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up):20.0 dBm / 12.3 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):287616 / 375
CRC Events (Down/Up):283 / 59
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):3837 / 38
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):1925 / 920

BT Speed Test & speedtest.net tracert Results

Download Speed (Mbps): 0.05

Upload Speed (Mbps): 0.25

Ping Latency(ms): 233.17

Maximum Download speed can not be achieved due to too much static on the phone line. This results in higher latency and more disconnections. As shown by the "tracert" test I have performed:-

tracert test

What equipment do we have?

We use the BT Home Hub 3 Type A. We have no desktops, 2 laptops (1 is always connected during the day which is mine as I have to manage my own TeamSpeak 3 server and VPS I have. I am also support for a web/vps hosting service which I will not name. We have a cordless phone, PS3, 4 Smart Phones, 1 Tablet.

All devices are connected via Wi-Fi.

What have we done on our end?

Reset Hub: No change detected.

Test Socket: Broadband unable to connect, more static detected.
Filters: No change detected.

Change routers: Performed with spare router, ADSL unable to create stable connection to exchange (This was major clue to me).
Contacted Support over phone: Yes, full line test was performed. No errors detected.

inSSIDer: No Wi-Fi interfearance detected.

Socket Cleaning was performed, again no change detected.

Extra Information

As I have done a networking module in a College/University Course, I know that hearing static is not normal on a phone line. Static must have a source and for me, I believe that source is coming from the exchange or further away from us.

The longest stable connection we had was around 10-20 mins.

If you need to know anything else, please let me know.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
33 REPLIES 33
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 34

Re: Constant Broadband Disconnection

when you used the test socket with a filter your broadband would not conenct?  if that is the case then I would not expect broadband in any connectionas the test socket is your direct conenction to the exchange

try quiet line test in test socket and see if still noise  dial 17070 option 2 should hear nothing and best with corded phone  if cordless then dull hum normal

do you have extension sockets?  if so have you removed the bellwire on termnal 3 from all sockets? 

bellwire removal

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 34

Hi there imjolly,

1) That is correct.

2) Too much static was detected and we are unable to hear anything clearly. Static was also present when the dialing tone was heard.

3) Only master. There are no extension sockets.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 34

the noise problem must be resolved first contact BT faults on 151 and report the noise with no mention of broadband in the call
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 34

if you are getting all that noise on your line then you need to report a phone fault with no mention of broadband.  is your connection still dropping everytime you get a phone call?  when you make calls as well?  if dropping then sounds like a high resistence fault

phone faults

I still cannot understand that if you have no internet connection when connecting hub to test socket you get a connection when you replace the master socket frontplate whcih is connecting to the test socket

check this post for more ideas on interfernece 
http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Home/Poor-Broadband-speed/m-p/14217#M8397

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 34

Hi there,

The fault has been reported via Online chat. Connection drops every time the phone is used.

As said in my first post, using the test socket introduced more static/noise. The face plate eliminates it a bit making it slightly more managable for the devices to hear what is being sent.

An engineer will be taking a look on thursday afternoon. I know that the equipment is not faulty as the spare equipment I have show the same symptoms/results.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 34

can you post back how you get on after engineer visit

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 34

Hi there,

Will do. Stay tuned for more info...

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 34

Hi there,

Here is some new info... I performed the quiet line test again and this time, no noise was picked up. It was free and clear. This is good as we're now able to hear calls clearly. The broadband however has become slow to a snail speed that it is very close to becoming unusable.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 34

can you repost your adsl stats and also run btspeedtester and then diagnostic test and post results - second test is only one that will show your profile

0 Ratings