Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 21 of 34

Re: Constant Broadband Disconnection

just need to wait now until problem gets fixed

the constant disconnections will not help your connection as router is intended to be left conencted 24/7 for best results.  there are posts where people switch off at night and on next day and once then stable then that is not a problem.  however off when people go out and on again when they come back + night off and morning on will certainly not help your connection when line noise fixed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 22 of 34

Hi there,

Ok, I will follow your advice on leaving it on 24/7 and see how it goes. Thanks.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 23 of 34

it is safe to leave the router on all the time they are designed to operate 24/7 just like a fridge or freezer is you would not turn those on and off would you? to get a stable connection and a good broadband speed you must maintain a stable connection
0 Ratings
Message 24 of 34

Hi there,

Sadly, I am unable to persuade a family member to leave it on over night so a stable connection is out of the question. Also the static has got much, much worse, worser than earlier today. We're unable to use the following sites:-

• facebook - Inaccessible
  • youtube - Takes around 10-15 mins to fully load
  • google - Takes 1-5 mins to load
  • wikipedia - Takes 1-5 mins to load
  • twitter - Sometimes inaccessible, Takes 5-10 mins to load fully.
  • you name it, we can't use.

I don't like to say it but we are all getting fustrated here. Our best chances is to wait it out until the engineer arrives. I have a very good idea where the static is being generated from.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 25 of 34

without a stable connection it will be difficult for the automatic system to improve your connection assuming engineer solves noise problem

I hope your source of the noise is not in your home

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 26 of 34

Hi there,

I know that the phone line to our home is intact as I have checked it visually as it goes along the outside walls and it is the same line used for the previous ISP we had. I have sent ICMP packets (Pinging) to the default gateway and the latency was 500ms+. The source of the static will be coming from the exchange or further up.

I will be sending out ICMP packets (pinging/trace routing) regularly so I can verify where the source is. I will be using my own cloud server for the trace route testing as it is the only thing I can ping successfully at this time. Pinging my friends will result in constant "request timed out". No matter who I ping to. They get the same result back. They performed a trace route to me and it stops just a few hops away from me.

I was taught Cisco networking at my college/university and I was the top student in my class with 1 or 2 others out of approx 20-25.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 27 of 34

more likely to be a bad conenction at the cabinet but just need to wait until engineer has been and hopefully solved the noise problem.  once that is fixed then getting connection back to speed  without 24/7 connection is next problem

0 Ratings
Message 28 of 34

Hi there,

My mother did see someone from BT working on the cabinet that is just up the road from where we are last week and thats when the static/faulty connections began. Like you said, just got to sit tight, wait it out until the engineer arrives.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 29 of 34

@imjolly wrote:

without a stable connection it will be difficult for the automatic system to improve your connection assuming engineer solves noise problem

I fully agree with those comments unless the hub is left on 24/7  the connection will not improve it is vital to maintain a stable connection other wise the connection will not improve 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 30 of 34

Hi there, 

The engineers have been and it seems that the road we're on may need some new phone lines installed as they're about 30-50 years old and have probably broke somewhere. I was half correct as I knew that our end was fine. It also explains why the latency is bad, why we have so much noise/static and why the speed is slow.

The engineers will be back tomorrow morning to start replacing the lines.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings