cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 31 of 53

Re: Constant disconnection, triggered by uploads

Hi @clbone  Thanks for the update and glad to hear the phone line is back working. I called earlier sorry I didn't get to speak with you.

I understand your frustration at the delay in getting this issue resolved due to it's complicated nature. I'm sorry but the 4G hub only applies to customers on the BT Plus service and I do not have a temporary solution for you. I have contacted the broadband experts helping with your case as they had to put things on hold whilst the telephone line was faulty and they will pick the case back up again today and I'll keep you updated of any progress.

Thanks
John 

Community ModeratorJohnC
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
Message 32 of 53

Hi @clbone  I called earlier sorry I missed you. I can the team helping me with this have been in touch and asked you to reboot the hub to refresh and test for 2 days. I just wanted to check if you have completed the reboot and if anything has changed with the problem you are having.

Cheers
John

Community ModeratorJohnC
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
clbone
Aspiring Contributor
Message 33 of 53

Hi John,

Unfortunately it hasn't fixed anything. The line is only stable if we completely limit any uploads, but we see the same issues as soon as any uploads occur, as you can see our latency is still crazy:

Download Speed (Mbps): 12.08 

Upload Speed (Mbps) : 0.10 

Ping Latency (ms): 6275

It's a shame as the download speed is pretty good when it's not cutting off! We've been told that they're sending a special team out but that it may take a while.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 34 of 53

If I were looking at that, and seeing the low upload speeds, I would suspect interference on the line  below 0.14MHz, which is the frequency range that ADSL uses for uploads.

That would be causing a lot of upload errors, which would account for the poor latency, and the home hub transmit buffer overflowing, causing the home hub to disconnect.

Usually noise in that frequency range can be heard on the quiet line test, as it would tend to start within the audio range, so it may be worth listening on a phone again.

It could be something being picked up on the line, or interference from some electronic device, which has a switched mode power supply unit in it.

I wonder if Openreach have actually tested the line for noise, with the ADSL equipment disconnected at the exchange, to see if there is something causing interference?

My above comments are based on my many years investigating interference.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
clbone
Aspiring Contributor
Message 35 of 53

Thanks Keith. The team speaking to me did mention they'd seen what looks like a pattern of interference throughout the day. We can't think of anything in the house that could be causing it. Do you know what sort of things use a switched mode power supply? Is it likely to be a larger device outside of our house?

Thanks,

Charlotte.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 36 of 53

There are lots of devices that use switch mode power units, from simple phone chargers, to TV sets.

As far as external interference is concerned, this is more likely if your phone line is fed from a pole, or is carried on an overhead cable route.

Its very difficult to locate this type of interference. Sometimes changing the cable pair from the cabinet to the house can help. Have Openreach actually visited, to see if they can see anything on their tester?

Can you hear anything on your phone?

I suppose that you only have ADSL available to your house, as VDSL (FTTC) tends to be less affected by noise at low frequencies?

0 Ratings
clbone
Aspiring Contributor
Message 37 of 53

Our line comes underground rather than overhead. Could something as small as a phone charger cause an issue? We don't have one near the line but it seems a bit bad if small things like that could cause such an issue, as it could be anything!

We've had a few engineers around, they have done multiple tests but none have ever mentioned interference. The BT team who have been looking into it mentioned that from around 6am onwards, they can see lots of errors suggesting intereference, but we don't have anything come on at that time. We do have a wireless heating thermostat but we had it long before any issues and we tried moving that away for a few days with no improvement.

Unfortunately fibre isn't yet available. We've seen them fitting it down the road but we've not been given a time estimate and because we're on an exchange only line.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 38 of 53

A phone charger is unlikely, as the power levels within, are very low.

A wireless thermostat would not normally cause issues, but some older gas boilers did cause a lot of interference when the internal thermostat that switches the gas valve, was worn out.

This would generate a burst of wideband  interference lasting from a few seconds, up to a minute, at an interval of about 20 minutes. It would be very noticeable on a medium wave radio receiver as a loud buzzing noise which increases in intensity, then stop abruptly.

When does your heating start up?

As your problem is there all of the time, this seems unlikely.

If its interference pickup on the local cable pair, perhaps due to a cable inbalance, then changing the route may help.

0 Ratings
clbone
Aspiring Contributor
Message 39 of 53

It's an oil heating system which is on the opposite side of the house to where the line comes in and it's not that old (it was replaced about 4 years ago). I think it's set to come on at around 6.30-7, I agree it seems unlikely because even today with the heating off we're having the same issue.

Thanks Keith, I'll pass this information on to BT. What's interesting is that they said they picked 4 other people on the circuit to look at and all of them were having issues, but different issues!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 40 of 53

Oil heating would not normally cause issue.

I suspect there is a problem with RF (Radio Frequency) noise on the local cable, especially as others are affected, possibly in slightly different ways, as poor upload speed will also affect the performance of streaming video services, especially Netflix.

I think the uploading disconnection issue is being caused by the very low upload throughput, due to loads of errors, so it an effect, rather than the cause.

On the older home hubs, this would have been displayed as CRC errors. this information display was removed on later home hubs, but can be seen on some third party routers.

CRC errors force re-transmissions, poor throughput, and high latency.

0 Ratings