cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 15

Constant disconnects

Go to solution

Hi all,

As of last week, I've had tonnes of broadband disconnects.

On thursday/friday, it was crashing non-stop, with internet barely lasting 40-60 seconds before dropping out.

On saturday, it kept disconnecting but less frequently, around once an hour.

Since then, it drops twice a day, but the SNR margin is so high that my current down speed is at 2200kbps.

If this keeps up, my internet will be completely unusable.

I've raised a fault on tuesday but it doesn't look like the system has acknowledged it.

When I go on the faults page and type my phone number in, it shows "you have open faults", but going into fault tracker section of MyBT, I get "no faults reported for this account".

I can't perform a quiet line test as I don't have a corded phone, nor can I acquire one at this time.

I can post my modem stats, but given how often the connection drops, they might be meaningless, and frankly I just want to know how I can fast-track this issue, as I need the internet for work.

Note: an OR engineer has been sent out to work on the exact same telephone pole my phone line comes from, so I delayed reporting the issue in hopes that he fixed my problem as well, but it is now apparently this isn't the case and my connection and its stability have only got worse.

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Re: Constant disconnects

Go to solution

from your description it certainly seems line a line fault but you need to acquire a phone to test your line to see if you have a dial tone and if so if line is noisy.  there is no point in making changes or posting stats which are forever changing due to the connection drops

you need to test from test socket to eliminate your internal wiring as being a problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

Right, since it seems paramount, I had a quick look around and found this:

https://shop.bt.com/products/bt-duet-210-061125-7SSC.html?refs=45250000

Will this handset work from the get-go? Can I just plug it into the phone socket of the ADSL splitter?

I know those sound like dumb questions but I don't want to spend money unnecessarily.

Additionally, if it turns out that the line is noisy and needs fixing, what do I do with the 2 faults I've already reported for this phone number?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

assuming there is a dial tone then phone should work once connected  you can get a cheap corded phone from likes of Argos for less then £10

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

I checked out the fault tracker and the system says my faults are now fixed.

Landline was apparently fixed on the 22nd, and broadband was fixed earlier today at 7am.

I'm still waiting for the corded phone to arrive so I'll test 17070 and post back.

If that doesn't give any obvious leads, I'll use the test socket as well. Beyond that I have no idea, as the modem isn't even a year old so I doubt it's dodgy already.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

Just did option 2 on the test, it's dead silent, left it for 3 minutes just in case, not a single crack, hum, nothing.

Next time my modem restarts, I'll try the test socket and maybe look at some proper DSL hubs, as TP-Link hasn't been exceptional thus far.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

Swapped the modem on saturday and it's been working fine, currently at 3d5h uptime, is that too early to ask for a DLM reset?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

your system should correct itself but you need to get a stable connection for 7/10 days. If you post stats showing 7+ days connection time not system uptime and problem still exists then we can see if mods will help but you need to let automatic system run its course

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

Hi again, sorry to be a nuisance but it's been a little over 7 days now and speeds haven't come back to normal.

dslstats.PNG

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

10 days 4 hours DSL uptime, no changes whatsoever. Could I have a moderator look into this, please?

0 Ratings