cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Corrosion Copper Wires

Go to solution

Hi Guys

I had a problem where the internet was dropping off, every time that happened I had to log back into the internet.

I reported it to BT, they sent an Openreach engineer to take a look at the Green Box on the roadside, who found that condensation had caused corrosion of the copper wires. 

Clearly this has been going on for a long time, corrosion doesn't suddenly appear.

BT is stating basically because I could use the Broadband, I won't get compensated for it.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Corrosion Copper Wires

Go to solution

Its unclear what you expect , you had a fault , reported it , and it was repaired that’s how the repair service works , if the ‘fault’ existed in a non service affecting way , if  it wasn’t affecting you using the service then it makes no difference , if it were service affecting then presumably you would have noticed earlier and reported before you did.

Faults can and do get worse , and eventually can cause a service affecting fault, you are due compensation if there is a delay from the date of reporting the issue , to getting the issue fixed ,  a couple of days are allowed to repair , any longer compensation is due, but you cannot expect compensation for a period before you even reported the issue, even if the line had a non service affecting problem that eventually developed into a service affecting one.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

Thanks iniltous.

This has happened for quite a long time. It was reported, but never resolved by BT, they suggested everything but investigating the 'Green Box' on the side of the road.

They never got down to the bottom of it. It is a service issue. Every time the connection drops off and it says 'no internet' , I have to 'restart' the computer to get the broadband connection up and running again. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

It’s nothing really to do with BT, if you report a problem to your provider (BT) and the ‘fault’ is accepted as something ‘real’ that needs attention, then it’s Openreach as the supplier to BT , that are responsible for checking ( they provide the service , and that should meet a documented standard ) and investigate if the service is not up-to scratch.

OR with the fault information provided by the consumer as well as line test results, decide where the fault is likely to be , they don’t get ‘instructions’ from communication providers ( like BT , Sky or whoever ) where to look or not look, apart from anything checking in a PCP ( the usually green street cabinet ) is an easy thing to do, it’s not like a faulty underground cable that cannot be seen, or a problem that is present when it rains but  not present when it’s dry, so it’s pot luck if the fault is present when the technician turns up. 

If you have a fault history that shows you repeatedly reported the same issue , is obviously an indication that a problem existed and wasn’t satisfactorily resolved you may have a case , but AFAIK, when a fault is raised , you are contacted when the fault is ‘cleared’ and asked if you agree the issue is now resolved and if it isn’t , you get the option to state the fault isn’t fixed, if your fault   reports have large time gaps between then , and you accepted at the time the fault was fixed , it may be difficult to argue a case that your service was disrupted ( much ) , it may even be the case that they can check your individual line connection stats,  and know how many times and for how long your connection dropped.

0 Ratings