cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Noel457
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 2

Cracking line, broadband drop outs, WiFi connection sometimes stops working

We have had this problem for about 3 months now, reporting it to BT every so often for them just to do a simple line reset which very temorarily solves the problem. 

Basically, during certain times of the day, our BT Home Hub 3 would just disconnect from the internet and then reconnect about 1 minute later. We called BT when it first started to happen and an engineer was sent round, he found nothing wrong with our internal wiring and said that other houses on the same line were being affected but he failed to isolate and fix any issues. We never received any update from them about the issue so we continued to hassle customer service. 

More recently, we have noticed the phone line starting to crackle and whenever it seems really bad, the broadband would later drop out. Also, the most recent problem, when the phone line is very bad and the router has disconnected 5 times in a row (disconnects, reconnects, disconnects etc.), the devices connected to the router wirelessly would just stop working. I could not even load the bthomehub.home/ router page on my iPad for example. 

I have been monitoring the problem and have been able to screenshot the event page whenever the broadband disconnects but not being able to find a pattern. If you would like to view them I can add them to this post. 

As of writing this post, I checked the noise margins (a past problem we have had where they were incorrectly set) and noticed much different values than expected. I'm not too sure what we would usually have but I am certain they have never been that close together.

Noise Margins WiFi not working 2.jpg

My general gut feeling seems like a new router might be needed (could be a mixture of issues) but the WiFi issue just screams router to me (by no means do I understand technology as much as other people in these forums or engineers so correct me if I'm wrong).

I just would like some help on this problem as BT have been so incompetent to fixing this problem.

Many thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
1 REPLY 1
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 2

Re: Cracking line, broadband drop outs, WiFi connection sometimes stops working

Have you tried the quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 you should hear no noise if you can hear noise then it needs reporting to BT faults on 151 with no mention of broadband in the call
0 Ratings