cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andycarne
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Cripplingly Slow Broadband

Hi, I’ve had an extremely slow broadband speed for well over a month now which has slowed down to virtually nothing. It’s taken me 2 hours to register on the forum and make this post. So far I have had several conversations with BT tech people in India where I have had many tests, a replacement Home Hub and at least two resets. On Friday I was told to wait another week until the 17th for it to get up to speed. My speed has got worse even though I’ve been repeatedly told that I’m getting 8Mbps to my hub. I have tried a second laptop to eliminate the possibility that there’s anything wrong my side of the Home Hub. It’s exactly the same. My iphone doesn’t have enough wireless capability to watch a youtube video. If there’s something in my setup at home that could be affecting this I’d like to know. I am currently plugged in to the test socket and directly into my hub from this laptop. The quiet line test shows a low hum even on my corded phone. My latest hub stats from 11/07/ (presumably after last reset) are: 16:54:30, 11 Jul. ( 80.360000) DSL noise margin: 25.00 dB upstream, 10.80 dB downstream 16:54:30, 11 Jul. ( 80.200000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 8128 Kbps downstream My latest speed test this evening shows: Download speed: 0.02 Upload speed: 0.11 Ping latency: 75.00 Throughout this I have NEVER been able to do any further diagnostic tests on the BTwholesale test page. I have ANCIENT wiring to my old master socket. I’m getting pretty fed up with this now! Whatever happened to the old idea of sending around an engineer to test my line? It’s no good telling me I should be getting 8mbps. I’m not Please help!!!
0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Cripplingly Slow Broadband

Which hub do you have?

have you tried a different browser to see if you can run the diagnostic test as that is the only test that will show your ip profile which controls your download speed

domyou have an NTE5 master or is still old style?

try quiet. Line test. DiL 17070 option 2. Should be quiet and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
andycarne
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
I have a Hub 4. Old style master (certainly at least 15 years old).
I've tried Chrome, Safari and Internet Explorer but not able to get diagnostics on any. My profile was going to be reset last Friday but I haven't seen any change as yet.
Did quiet line test you suggest on a corded phone and there is a constant low hum.
0 Ratings
andycarne
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 11

To clarify :
My master socket does have a detachable lower front part which I've taken off and I'm now plugged into the test socket.
The quiet line test has an audible buzz/hum when the corded phone is connected directly into the test socket with no ADSL filter.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

As IMJ has said, you need to check your IP profile, as that is what is restricting your throughput, as you connection speed if fine.

0 Ratings
andycarne
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 11

Thanks,
But how can I check this if I can't run further diagnostics? Do I need to chase up with BT techs again?
0 Ratings
andycarne
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 11

Had this text from BT last Friday:

Hello, BT here. We have made a profile change on your line and this will take effect in the next 48-72 hour. Please continue to monitor the connection during this period [17/07/2015 08:24:06] once the stabilisation period is complete. This is an automated message please do not respond.

Should I be expecting an improvement by now? I've been 'monitoring' daily but no improvement in my speed. This is the second reset.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

if they were changing your profile and that was an email last friday then I would have expected it would have been done by now

can you run btspeedtester and post the results   must be done with wired connection

btspeedtester

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
andycarne
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 11

Just ran test again.

Download Speed: 0.01
Upload Speed 0.15
Ping Latency: 126.75

Tried further diagnostics test:

1. Best Effort Test

Download Speed: 0.01

Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred whe trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information.

This is probably the thirtieth time I've done this test since I first reported the fault on June 22nd. This is the only further diagnostics result I can get regardless of browser or which computer I used. My connection is permanently wired.

Don't know where I can go from here as all I get is 'we will reset your profile, wait a week'.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

If you are still using the test socket and getting buzz on quiet line test then you need to report a phone fault to 151. Until you get a good quiet line I can't see your broadband improving 

0 Ratings