Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
David_M
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 21

DLM has put me on fastpath - can anyone help getting this turned off

Go to solution

Hi

Can anyone here help getting fastpath turned off?  DLM has gone weird again and put it on.

A fault was fixed a couple of weeks ago, the line was reset and settings were good at the beginning with interleaving on, but then sometime in the last few days DLM has put me on fastpath (interleaving off).  We're on the end of a longish poor quality line (downstream attenuation 47.5db) history has shown that a solid stable connection is target noise margin 9 and fastpath off/interleaving on.  No one else here has fastpath on; it just doesn't work even using our own good quality routers. 

I tried phoning BT support :(.  I wasn't too surprised that the woman I spoke with had never heard of fastpath/interleaving, but no one else in her office had either.  I was quite surprised none of them seemed to know what DLM was.  I was aghast that the term DSL seemed to go over her head as well.  I was horrified that her solution was for me to speak with their paid-for technical support service, so I gave up.  When I spoke with EE a few months ago for a neighbour after fastpath was causing many dropouts a day they had me speaking to someone knowledgeable in moments, and fixed it quickly with a line reset and fastpath off followed by months of stability!

Not sure where else to turn now as BT phone support seem to have washed their hands of me.  I've disconnected the answer machine so that connecting incoming calls don't cause dropouts even when the broadband is idle, but that isn't exactly ideal!

Thanks

David

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 21

Re: DLM has put me on fastpath - can anyone help getting this turned off

Go to solution

the forum mods will be able to help you get interleaving on  they will post here

after you complete the form following there link it could be 3/5 days before mods get back to you  requests are dealt with in order received

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 21

Go to solution
. I've disconnected the answer machine so that connecting incoming calls don't cause dropouts even when the broadband is idle, but that isn't exactly ideal!

That should not be happening it sounds like you still have a line fault if it is
0 Ratings
David_M
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 21

Go to solution
Thanks! Wasn't sure the mods could help but was hoping to be pointed in the right direction, so this will be great!
0 Ratings
David_M
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 21

Go to solution

I think the line 'fault' is that it's well over 3km of ancient aluminium line with multiple breaks and repairs, and crumbling connections as the aluminium degrades at the repairs.  Openreach just shrug their shoulders, patch it up and walk away ... we just have to live with lousy broadband.  Half of us have shelled out for Billion routers which have meant that drop outs and errors are rarer which keeps the target margin down and means we get 2.9 to 3.4 mbs.  Standard routers (home hubs etc) result in many errors and drop outs with a resulting target margin of 15+ and bad speed.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 21

Go to solution

Hi @David_M,

If you send me in your details I'll be able to take a look at your connection.  Having interleaving switched on should help the stability of the connection.

You can send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile.

Thanks

PaddyB

David_M
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 21

Go to solution

Details already sent in as requested.  Not sure if this is the best way of getting additional information to whoever is going to look at this, but I screen grabbed the router stats after the superframe error rate started getting very high and the broadband starting 'freezing' from time to time.  Maybe there is a fault other than just the interleaving depth.

Thanks

David

171115-009502 error rates.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 21

Go to solution

one thing stats dont say is connection time  not system up time

have you tried quiet line test to check for noise that may be cause of errors  dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
David_M
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 21

Go to solution

Connection time is just over 9 hours suggesting a dropout in the middle of the night (1am), although the other router stats don't seem to have reset (superframes etc not reset).  No incoming phone calls and the broadband wasn't in use.  I think this is the first drop out since DLM put me on fastpath about a week ago as last time I checked the connection time was several days.

Quiet line sounds pretty quiet to me, just a very faint static, but I didn't think to try it last evening when the superframe errors went crazy and broadband was 'freezing' up.  I'll try it again this evening which I assume is when it'll get bad again if it's going to.

I still suspect fastpath as we've been here before with some of the neighbours and once it was turned off things settled quickly ... that's just our experience, I'm far from being an expert.  I'd love to know why DLM does this as everything I've read indicates that long poor quality lines shouldn't have it.

David

0 Ratings
David_M
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 21

Go to solution

No quiet line noise during the freeze ups last evening, but I noticed they occurred when the noise margin got down to 5.5, something which wasn't happening before DLM decided fastpath was a good idea.

Gotta be fastpath on a long poor quality line. I'd love an explanation from somebody/anybody as to why DLM decided on fastpath.

0 Ratings