cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 18

Is there anyway to get a fixed line speed. I notice every few weeks my line profile is reset by presumably DLM.

I play online gaming and have found that the optimal line profile is 8.1 Download and 1.02 Upload. This afternoon it has been reset again to a higher profile and gaming is not as good and as I said this is happening every 2 or 3 weeks.

Would it be possible for a Mod to maybe arrange for the line to use a fixed profile of 8.1 D/L and 1.02 U/L. How would I go about arranging this or contacting them, thanks for any help.

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: DLM

Go to solution
you cannot have a fixed profile on ADSL2+ it is a rate adaptive service
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 18

Go to solution

Thanks John thats a pity so there is nothing I can do until fibre is available at exchange.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution
correct also Fibre services use the DLM system and are rate adaptive like all broadband services and providers
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 18

Go to solution

Thanks again, shame really as it works so well at the profile I mentioned above and deteriorates at the higher levels.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution
Some third party routers allow the snrm figure to be spoofed which should achieve what you want. Billion models certainly do, I believe there are also others.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 18

Go to solution

Thanks I haven't heard of that I would have to read up on it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 18

Go to solution

Basically DLM tries to achieve an SNRM figure of 6dB and adjusts your speed accordingly. The DSLAM relies on the SNRM information being sent back from your modem to know the download figure. This figure can be tweaked into fooling the DSLAM that the figure is worse/better than it really is which has the effect of either decreasing or increasing the sync speed accordingly. Most people use it to increase speed at the expense of stability, but it can also be used in the opposite direction to reduce speed and increase stability.

Have a look here

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 18

Go to solution

Thanks, I appreciate that.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 18

Go to solution

I noticed this thread where a request was made for a Broadband-Speed/SNR-IP-Profile-Reset.

https://community.bt.com/t5/ADSL-Copper-Broadband-Speed/SNR-IP-Profile-Reset-Please/m-p/1673940#M259...

If I was able to have a reset to a lower profile maybe that would achieve the stablility I need for online gaming, would this be a possible solution. ? I would say if the max d/load was set as 8mb with the same 1.02 upload it would solve my problem.

Thanks for any help.

0 Ratings