cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
tjv
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

DSL/POTS interference + disconnection - request for mods assistance!

Go to solution

Having had an excellent experience earlier this year when sorting out a 'stuck' noise margin problem, I'm back again!

I'm experiencing an apparently straightforward issue - when telephone calls are made, the broadband connection usually drops. This doesn't happen with every call, but a significant proportion - I guess 40%. The DSL has had long periods of stable connection in the recent past.

So, I assumed it was a failed microfilter. There are two extensions (they've been there many, many years) off the master socket. However, using three new microfilters seems to have made no difference.

After the noise margin problem earlier this year, I fitted a "Broadband Accelerator faceplate", sent by BT, that improved the connection a little. I wondered if there could now be a problem with that, so replaced it with a Mk3 Openreach faceplate (bought new from Amazon) that 'splits' the signal at the master socket - so no need for additional filters. To my great surprise the problem of DSL disconnections during telephone calls is unaffected - it still happens with the same regularity!

I have used the BT website line and broadband checks (when there is no telephone call being made) and they reveal no faults, but my suspicion now is that it may well be an external problem. I think my line runs direct to the exchange - no cabinet - and wonder whether the equivalent filtering at the exchange (i.e. separating the DSL & POTS frequencies), is failing?

Router stats, during a telephone call before the disconnection actually occurs, show some very odd readings for the uplink noise margin. Apparently this is linked to a large fall in the uplink 'Maximum data rate' compared to that with no call in progress.

For example:

Router stats during a call (before DSL disconnection actually occurs):

1. Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:+068xxxx+NQxxxxxxxx
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204.1.11 (Type A) Last updated 10/05/16
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime:0 days, 00:01:09
6. Data rate:875 / 5212
7. Maximum data rate:863 / 5208
8. Noise margin:101.7 / 9.1
9. Line attenuation:27.6 / 49.0
10. Signal attenuation:27.4 / 46.8
11. Data sent/received:0.0 MB / 0.0 MB
12. Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
13. BT Wi-fi:No
14. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID:xxxxxx
15. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))
16. 2.4 GHz Wireless security:WPA2
17. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
18. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID:xxxxxxxxxxx
19. 5 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 a/n (up to 450 Mb/s))
20. 5 GHz Wireless security:WPA2
21. 5 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
22. Firewall:Default
23. MAC Address:90:72:82:74:xx:xx
24. VPI/VCI:0 / 38
25. Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
26. Latency type:Fast
27. Software variant:AA
28. Boot loader:1.0.0
BT Home Hub 5 (Type A) | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204.1.11 | Last updated 10/05/16

Router stats after the call (the DSL has reconnected):

1. Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:+068xxxx+NQxxxxxxxx
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204.1.11 (Type A) Last updated 10/05/16
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime:0 days, 00:02:57
6. Data rate:871 / 5256
7. Maximum data rate:1121 / 5280
8. Noise margin:6.8 / 8.7
9. Line attenuation:27.7 / 49.1
10. Signal attenuation:27.2 / 46.7
11. Data sent/received:0.0 MB / 0.3 MB
12. Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
13. BT Wi-fi:No
14. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID:xxxxxx
15. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))
16. 2.4 GHz Wireless security:WPA2
17. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
18. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID:xxxxxxxxxxx
19. 5 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 a/n (up to 450 Mb/s))
20. 5 GHz Wireless security:WPA2
21. 5 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
22. Firewall:Default
23. MAC Address:90:72:82:74:xx:xx
24. VPI/VCI:0 / 38
25. Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
26. Latency type:Fast
27. Software variant:AA
28. Boot loader:1.0.0
BT Home Hub 5 (Type A) | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204.1.11 | Last updated 10/05/16

The latency used to be switched to Interleaving - no surprise for this line - so if a mod can get in touch so that can be changed back and with any suggestions as to what to try next, that would be much appreciated.

Thank you in adavnce for any suggestions!

Tom

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: DSL/POTS interference + disconnection - request for mods assistance!

Go to solution

Hi @tjv and thanks for posting.

I'm sure we can help with this. Can you please drop over an email with your details? You'll get the contact the moderators link in my profile. We're busier than usual so it's taking longer than expected to reply but once you submit your details we'll get to you in turn.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
tjv
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

Thanks David, that's great; I've filled out the contact form and will await a response in due course.

All the best

Thomas

0 Ratings
tjv
Beginner
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

Problem resolved - all seems to be working well again.

Thanks very much to David (above) for getting me started and to Gary from BT who got in touch and investigated. By the time Gary called, the POTS/ADSL interference seemed to have ceased but he had a look and discovered that there had been some work at the exchange at the time I was experiencing problems, so that was probably the culprit. Anyway, Gary switched the connection latency to interleaved and all is running well again.

I have experienced this before and it's one thing BT might be able to do better - send a generic email to customers at exchanges where anything significant is being done, just before doing the work. The last time, I had an email after the work at the exchange, letting me know it was completed; that provided the explanation for the disruption that previously occurred!

Thanks for help

Tom

0 Ratings