cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sp1der
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 61

Re: Desperately slow broadband, and getting worse!

Go to solution

Hey UlsterSurfer.

I too have noticed a serious drop in BB speed since about the middle of July.

In June, I was getting 6-7M and now I'm not even reaching 1!  In July, I though it was some FUP thing but I may have been wrong as apparently you are supposed to get an email warning.

I too have had nights where that light blinks orange every couple of minutes or so, very annoying.

Apparently, if that light keeps blinking, after a few times, your line noise or something is increased in an effort to stabilise it, which in turn slows your connection.  This is my very non-technical view of it anyway!

I have now moved the router to the master socket this morning and I'm wondering if the line speed checking is dynamic, does it go back up itself or do I have to ring someone.

Very annoying because I have never had below 5Mb connection before, and nothing has really changed in my setup.  Currently my stats say that my upload is quicker then my download!!

Also, I'm in an Infinity area, was wondering if that might help?

Connection Information
Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 00:25:48
Downstream1,151 Kbps
Upstream1,161 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationG.992.5 Annex A
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)11.7 dB / 5.9 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)37.5 dB / 17.6 dB
Output power (Down/Up)12.0 dBm / 1.7 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote)0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote)0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote)0 / 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)2 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up)0 / 0
HEC Errors (Down/Up)0 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote)0 / 0
0 Ratings
Highlighted
UlsterSurfer
Contributor
Message 12 of 61

Go to solution

I'm actually not using filters, and haven't ever since the socket plate was changed approximately three years ago to one with built-in filters. I've just found the old filters and fitted them to the master socket and I'll report back on any improvement.

Struggling with less than 50 KB/s… a quarter of what it used to be.
0 Ratings
UlsterSurfer
Contributor
Message 13 of 61

Go to solution

This is the test on Sunday morning with the filter in place through the master socket:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 412 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-500 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :0 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 500 Kbps

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 61

Go to solution

you cannot use a filter in a filtered faceplate

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
UlsterSurfer
Contributor
Message 15 of 61

Go to solution

And neither I did. 

However, only the filter would fit the master socket, so out of desperation I tried THAT. No change.

O2 were in contact earlier in the week - they must read this forum - telling me they can guarantee to double the BT speed, as they use ADSL2 technology. To be honest, I'm tempted. I didn't contact them - despite the sales **bleep** they came out with on the phone - but if things don't improve I'm off to look for someone who can help get my speed back to what it was two months ago; not great, but better than dire.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 61

Go to solution

I'm sorry but I am having a bad day and having difficulty in understanding your connection.  you have a filtered master socket fitted 3 years ago but it only has one outlet and does not accept the router cable only a telephone cable with white rectangular connection.  How do you actually connect the router?  do you have other extension sockets in your home?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
UlsterSurfer
Contributor
Message 17 of 61

Go to solution

Sorry m8, my fault for being a bit unclear, apologies! I have the standard two-socket plate which was fitted as an improvement on the old plate some time ago, the engineer told me it no longer required filters as they were built-in. There is one large socket and one small; the old plate had two similar sockets into which the old filter fitted. The router uses a small square plug (ethernet on my PC) while the phone uses a longer rectangular shaped plug, the same as on the master socket behind the plate. This is the main phone socket in the house with one phone and the router; there is one extension in another room. So: to clarify, the filter fitted the phone master socket and the ethernet cable then went from the router into the filter, but the ethernet cable will not fit the master socket without an adaptor.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 61

Go to solution

so with the new filtered faceplate ( which I use to) you have the router connected to one socket and the telephone connected to the other or the phone is connected to an extension which is not filtered because of the filtered faceplate - have I got it right now ? Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
UlsterSurfer
Contributor
Message 19 of 61

Go to solution

Yes, it's a two-socket filtered faceplate with the phone in one socket and the router in the other.  Strange thing: Monday 20th September past I reached the unheard-of dizzying heights of 124 KB/s for an entire afternoon, but today - two days later - it's reverted to 23 KB/s. I've no idea what happened; one day the connection becomes crystal clear, the next: back to square one. I was away from home in between so no idea when the speed slowed again but this morning it's now 23KB/s maximum with a gaming ping late last night fluctuating to as high as 636. 

Even the download speed is unsteady, frequently dropping to zero (but the router light stays green) then to maybe 12 or 16, then back to 23. I'm climbing the walls!

0 Ratings
UlsterSurfer
Contributor
Message 20 of 61

Go to solution

Still 23 KB/s as of this morning. To be honest dial-up would be faster.

I may consider reporting a fault.

0 Ratings