cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Dial tone but no broadband on additional socket

Go to solution

Hi braintrust.

I have been reading up on this (ob this forum) and think I understand the answer to my own question, but wanted to double check before I do anything as the threads I have been reading are archived.

I have a BT master socket.  Both the phone and broadband works fine.

However, I want to move my router to an additional socket (is that the right terminology?) to place the router in the middle of my his for better WIFI coverage.

I tried plugging the router into the additional socket (with a filter) but no joy although the phone line worked fine.

I have read, that for the additional socket to work for broadband, I must remove the faceplate from my master socket and, if I want to keep my phone there, plug it into the socket behind (with a filter).

Is this correct?

I know I could just try, but I don't want to touch the master socket without knowing this is the right solution.

...I find this a little confusing as I thought the additional sockets were wired into the removable faceplate,  so removing it would actually disconnect the additional sockets.

Any help appreciated.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Dial tone but no broadband on additional socket

Go to solution

which socket do you have

Keith_Beddoe_0-1577035081757.jpegMaster socket types.jpeg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

@jchhenderson wrote:

I have read, that for the additional socket to work for broadband, I must remove the faceplate from my master socket and, if I want to keep my phone there, plug it into the socket behind (with a filter).

No idea where you read that nonsense.

Is this correct?

No

...I find this a little confusing as I thought the additional sockets were wired into the removable faceplate,  so removing it would actually disconnect the additional sockets.

Correct

Any help appreciated.

If you have a filtered master socket, i.e one that has separate sockets for phone and broadband, broadband won't work at the extension socket. In order for it to do so, you will need to rewire the master socket. Disconnect the 2 wires in 2&5 of the faceplate and connect them to the data extension terminals on the backplate. You will then need to use a filter at the extension socket.

Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

I have the 6th picture.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Then see solution in message 3.

Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

thanks!

Am I allowed to make this change (doesn't BT own that socket and its connections etc)?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Yes, that is internal wiring and is your responsibility. It is just the incoming feed you are not supposed to tinker with.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution
cheers!
0 Ratings