cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Dial tone restored, now broadband locked on low speed

Go to solution

I recently had a broken wire on my line, resulting in a loss of dial tone/phone service, and a crippled broadband. The line has been repaired, but my broadband is still pitifully slow.  The  connection speed is 283kbps, the SNR MARGIN is about 32dB, and maximum attainable connection speed quoted is 13-14 Mbps. The latter results are echoed by my own D-link router, and also by the BT Hub, which I only recently installed.

I'm currently working away from home, but it's increasingly looking like I will be working from home, and as such need the line working. As part of the line fixing process, I was in touch with BT help line, and latterly (before installing the Hub), was told an engineer would need to visit my home again (not possible while I'm away).

As the connection speed and margins are identical between the two routers, doesn't this imply a problem external to my home?

Unfortunately, although I have a pc on the line at home, I neglected to open a port to access it via VNC, so I can't get any more details. I tried to do a speed test remotely, but the BT system says it can't find the hub (i tried to initiate from my mobile, assuming it automatically checked my registered phone line), nor can I get it to reset the Hub. I can't get a remote speed test to wok either, but the Tech on the phone help said the speed was very low.

Is it worthwhile me pushing BT to do a line reset (IP config reset, as I've seen it referred to on this board)? Ideally, I'd like the broadband working before I'm home again, but it seems BT are requiring access to sort it.

Thanks for reading.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Dial tone restored, now broadband locked on low speed

Go to solution

as I posted previously assuming your line is now repaired and you have a stable internet connection then the DLM should release your connection which is in a banded profile due to your previous line problems. This normally happens with adsl connections automatically in 7/10 days

If you have already go 7/10 stable connection when you check connection stats then post back and we can see if mods can help  no point in reset if line still unstable

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution
Thanks for your reply. I was getting concerned as there seemed to be no variability on the line speed. As I said, I can't access the line stats as I can't access my pc remotely, but I'm trying the line by uploading a large file via ftp to a NAS on the other side of the Hub. The transfer speed has been constant over he last couple of days, no variability at all.

Also, I can't get the BT Bot to do any checks on the Hub, or a speed check as it says it can't find it.

I guess I'm at the mercy of whatever powers are at force here until I can get home.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Ok. 7 days + 1 after  fix. Uploading 1GB+ file to my home NAS, and sustaining 842KB/s. I guess that's fixed.

One thing I didn't think to report was that the engineer actually put me on to another, unused, line, rather than repair the original (which might be done in the background). That's why I was concerned about the ongoing low download speed.

I acknowledge variability on a new installation (which latterly this was), but having worked away on a number of occasions, and getting a new broadband deal each time, I always got a sensible speed on activation. The tech on the BT support line was also concerned about the low speed, and was requesting a new engineer visit, which I didn't want, and couldn't accomodate anyway.

I'm assuming the "banding" was transferred over to the new-to-me line, and has now been lifted.

Thanks for the inputs.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

you will know from your connection stats if the banding has been removed as down connection speed will not be still stuck at 283kbps

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution
unfortunately, I can't access the line stats remotely, nor can I run a speed test, but from the above, it appears to working ok.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Out of interest, when I do a speed test, or try to get statistics from the router using the web interface, does the app go to you ip address, i.e. the one you're logged  into, or does it go to the phone line? Might seem to be a silly question, but the former explains why I don't get any results.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

OK, a number of weeks down the line. BT Hub was connecting at an admittedly better speed, but not up to the max I experienced a coupple of years back. I've reconnected my D-Link, and have been able to access the CLI on it, and reset the SNR margin  from the 12.something set at the exchange to about 6.3. (It's fluctuating about this rate, but has been holding the connection for about 3 weeks now).

Unfortunately while working on the router interfaces, I've managed to switch of ftp access to to my NAS, so haven't been able to check the download speed. I've also not managed to set the auto boot up time on the new motherboard, so can't access the box via VNC, which would have been nice. On the upside, before I left hole last time, my download speed, via the BT wholesale checker, was hitting 12.5MB/s, up from the 7.5Mb/s using the exchange set SNR margin.

I have rebooted from my own set SNR margin previously, and at that time the margin went back to the original, necessitating a reset via the CLI. I don't want to try another reboot until I get home next.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

From my router, my stats:

DownstreamUpstream
Line Coding(Trellis):OnOn
SNR Margin (0.1 dB):6469
Attenuation (0.1 dB):315162
Output Power (0.1 dBm):210113
Attainable Rate (Kbps):154841292
Rate (Kbps):14025828