Did you mean: 
Highlighted
crazylife
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Disabled Children unable to access services due to low ADSL Speed

Go to solution

Hello BT Community

I have two disabled children that access services across the internet, or at least should if they could. We have a single ADSL connection at the moment and are quite willing to put in 1 or 2 more BT lines with broadband if we can achieve a sensible speed on the current line and replicate that to the other lines.

Allegedly we have a line that supports 8128 Mbps with BT home hub 4. If we were to get half of that in the property to a single PC that would be useful. Higher would be wonderful. I will post below the tests in greater detail. However what we get is 1.96mbps on a good day, via wired Ethernet, known good cable.

No infinity in this area and no plans. Have a satellite link, the most expensive package you can get, and this is no good for them due to latency, throttling of bandwidth and the 100 GB download limits for a month.

I have had a chat session with the BT help staff and bless them it was a pointless exercise. I have a copy of the chat of course with the recommendations based on ignoring anything I said. The recommendation after quite a while was reset the router. Of course I did this to be polite and nothing change, as expected. They did say though that from their tests they would expect 5 mbps at the desktop.

As to the testing. Using the standard BT speed test it consistently posts 8.13mb to the property from the exchange and 1.87mb to the computer. This test has been performed under the following methods:

3 different PC’s – Windows 7, Windows 8.1 & Windows 10. All using wired connections. Only one on the network at a time. Wireless disabled. All scanned for viruses and malware and then when assured they are clean firewalls off, AV off, Malware scanner off.

Tests remain the same. Best so far is 1.96Mbps at the desktop. Line supports 8128 Mbps.

BT wholesale test shed some more light. Again tested as above and also at non peak times:

“1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download  Speed

1.95 Mbps

0 Mbps

2 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 1.95 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.4 Mbps-2 Mbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :8.13 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 2 Mbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your Broadband Service Provider.

If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your Broadband Service Provider for assistance.

Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester”

For added information changed to a Home Hub 3 to get a reading for noise and attenuation:

ADSL Settings

VPI/VCI:

0/38

Type:

PPPoA

Modulation:

G.992.1 Annex A

Latency type:

Fast

Noise margin (Down/Up):

8.8 dB / 24.0 dB

Line attenuation (Down/Up):

34.5 dB / 19.5 dB

Output power (Down/Up):

19.9 dBm / 12.0 dBm

FEC Events (Down/Up):

0 / 0

CRC Events (Down/Up):

2 / 0

Not too bad?

Retested with the Home Hub 3. Same results. Which is what you would expect given the wholesale speed tests.

I guess the IP Profile for the line could do with resetting?

FYI – BT Home Hub 4 details:

1. Product name:

BT Home Hub

2. Serial number:

+068340+NQ51321487

3. Firmware version:

Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.130.1.17.2.1.1.3 (Type A) Last updated Unknown

4. Board version:

BT Hub 4A

5. ADSL uptime:

0 days, 00:01:18

6. Bandwidth:

448 / 8128

Your help would be massively appreciated.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Disabled Children unable to access services due to low ADSL Speed

Go to solution

your profile is stuck at 2mb instead of 7.15mb  mods will help get it reset and will post a contact us link 

you now need to maintain a stable conenction 24/7 with no resets

contact mods.jpg

After completing the email NOT PM then you join a queue of other customers waiting for mod help. The mods will get back to you in 3/5 working days either by phone or email

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete your number  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Hi Crazylife,

If you send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile, I'll be able to take a look at your connection.

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
crazylife
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Thank you very much.

Just sent the details via the contact the mods in the PaddyB profile.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
crazylife
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Dear Paddy B.

Thank you so much for your help. Speed now about 6mbps which is so much better that i have ordered a second line for install on Tuesday?

Issue was as predicted that Openreach needed to reset the ip profile for the line. Once done things were much better. Hopefully one day the Scremby exchange will be updated.

BT Expert
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Hi @crazylife

Thanks for updating the community, and glad the community and the mods were able to help.

You know where to come if you ever need some help again 🙂