Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
warrenshaw22
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 107

Dlm optional?

Go to solution
Hi all, from previous posts I have a really good reliable line for long periods until a few nights of stormy weather and the dlm decides to kick in and half my speeds, which is currently the case and on previous occasions would not recover even when left for long periods with little/no errors, and this occasion seems no acception. This is extremely fustrating as my connection sat for weeks at over 4mb, now stuck on just over 2.
I am aware that interleaving can be requested to be turned off, but what about dlm itself? Can this not be turned off?
I have a billion modem with snr adjustment and can quiet easily adjust it to a nice stable dB myself
0 Ratings
106 REPLIES 106
Techwizz
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 107

Re: Dlm optional?

Go to solution

That wouldn't be a good idea, purely because you've said that when the weather is stormy, your connection suffers, so there must be a fault somewhere. Can you post the line stats from your Billion router? Is the line noisy? If not, check to see if it is when it's stormy.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 107

Go to solution
The DLM cannot be turned off
Sounds like you may be in a banded profile so post stats as requested by techwizz

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
warrenshaw22
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 107

Go to solution
Many thanks, will post stats when I get home tonight, I would be pretty confident I am on a banded profile. What would be average timescale for this to sort itself? Last time I became stuck in it and the move to adal2 reset the line and released it.
0 Ratings
warrenshaw22
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 107

Go to solution
Meant to say, have done a quiet line test last night and seemed fine. Will post stats later on
0 Ratings
Techwizz
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 107

Go to solution

Was the quiet line test conducted when the issues were occuring? Banding on ADSL is normally less problematic than on VDSL, so it should remove itself soon, assuming errors are low.

0 Ratings
warrenshaw22
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 107

Go to solution
Unfortunately no, it was through the night so was sleeping, will try to do that next time we have a storm, although was quiet the following day, so doesn't appear to be a permanent noise fault
0 Ratings
warrenshaw22
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 107

Go to solution
Name BiPAC 7800NXL
Host Name home.gateway
System Up-Time 5D 2H 22M 0Status
xDSL
Mode ADSL_2plus
Traffic Type ATM
Status Up
Link Power State L0
Downstream Upstream
Line Coding (Trellis) On On
SNR Margin (dB) 12.0 7.7
Attenuation (dB) 55.0 34.3
Output Power (dBm) 17.4 12.1
Attainable Rate (Kbps) 2268 850
Rate (Kbps) 2074 886
MSGc (# of bytes in overhead channel message) 55 11
B (# of bytes in Mux Data Frame) 13 110
M (# of Mux Data Frames in FEC Data Frame) 16 1
T (Mux Data Frames over sync bytes) 5 1
R (# of check bytes in FEC Data Frame) 16 16
S (ratio of FEC over PMD Data Frame length) 3.3922 3.9687
L (# of bits in PMD Data Frame) 566 256
D (interleaver depth) 1 8
Delay (msec) 8 8
INP (DMT symbol) 27.00 2.00
Super Frames 0 0
Super Frame Errors 0 20
RS Words 9212723 3604949
RS Correctable Errors 13 5715
RS Uncorrectable Errors 0 0
HEC Errors 0 30
OCD Errors 0 0
LCD Errors 0 0
Total Cells 38380548 16415264
Data Cells 761541 11499828
Bit Errors 0 0
Total ES 0 12
Total SES 0 0
Total UAS 0 0
0 Ratings
Techwizz
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 107

Go to solution

The line looks very stable, at the higher target DS SNRM of 12 dB, so yes looks like you will need to ask for a DLM reset, for it to be dropped back to the normal 6 dB.

But, the problem is, we need to find out what's causing the instability when it's stormy. I would assume it's a HR that opens when the wind/rain gets in.

0 Ratings
warrenshaw22
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 107

Go to solution
Yes, I mean our weather here in NI is generally **bleep** most of time, yet the connection stays stable, it just seems to be when a storm hits with worse than normal wind and rain is when dlm upsets things. Maybe bursts of noise in extreme weather? I checked my neighbour next door and they are syncing at near 4.5! Although the billion has PhyR ability which should stop that problem.
I can force the snr down with the billion to 7db, but connection doesn't go much higher with the banding anyway, so left it on auto incase it buggers the dlm even more.
0 Ratings