cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
forester
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Do I still need the the filters on the 'phone lines ?

Go to solution

As of the end of this month we will be cancelling our broadband subscription to BT. Here in rural NE Northants the only option for faster speeds is Gigaclear, no plans for BT to upgrade ever. So we have signed up with Gigaclear and now get fibre direct to the property, no problems, it works. We will keep our BT landline for the telephone as we are in a dead spot for mobile signals and will keep the email @ bt.co.uk as it is to much of a hassle to change that. 

That's the background.

My question is quite simple, with BT broadband cancelled and no longer coming in  over the phone line do we still need the adsl filters on the telephone lines within the house or can they be discarded ? Internet is now fibre direct to the house.

Thanks

Brian.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Do I still need the the filters on the 'phone lines ?

Go to solution

You will not need the microfilters any more.

forester
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Thank you, I guessed not but wanted to be sure.

Cheers

Brian

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

@foresterwrote:

As of the end of this month we will be cancelling our broadband subscription to BT. Here in rural NE Northants the only option for faster speeds is Gigaclear, no plans for BT to upgrade ever. So we have signed up with Gigaclear and now get fibre direct to the property, no problems, it works. We will keep our BT landline for the telephone as we are in a dead spot for mobile signals and will keep the email @ bt.co.uk as it is to much of a hassle to change that. 

That's the background.

My question is quite simple, with BT broadband cancelled and no longer coming in  over the phone line do we still need the adsl filters on the telephone lines within the house or can they be discarded ? Internet is now fibre direct to the house.

Thanks

Brian.

Hi.

If you are keeping your btinternet.com email address (not bt.co.uk), then you will have to convert it to Premium (though it's not, it's a general one). That will then cost you currently £7.50 per month.

Your best bet is to get a Gmail account, tell all your contacts, update all your website login contact info to the new address etc.

You may want to keep the btinternet address for a couple of months and pay, but after a few months - abandon it.

It is a hassle for a bit, but you will be much better off in the long run.

forester
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution
Thanks Andy, we did consider using Gmail but at the time the Premium email was only £5 monthly but £7.50 makes it worth considering again, which we will do.
Cheers
Brian.
0 Ratings