cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DiggerOfTrenches
Contributor
Message 21 of 31

Re: Does ADSL always come from the exchange. Exchange only line.

@licquoricewrote:

VDSL from ALL suppliers is fed from the same DSLAM in the cabinet. ADSL is fed from the exchange where each LLU provider will have their own DSLAMs.

Just noticed you mentioned LLU my exchange is Market A no LLU will that make a difference?

0 Ratings
DiggerOfTrenches
Contributor
Message 22 of 31

This is on the current bt website.

https://www.btplc.com/sinet/SINs/pdf/472v2p9.pdf

As of Jan 2019 this is how WBC ADSLx works.

Where it comes from?

I still suspect it can also come from a green cabinet if equipped to do so.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 23 of 31

You can suspect all you like, it doesn't.
0 Ratings
DiggerOfTrenches
Contributor
Message 24 of 31

@licquoricewrote:

VDSL from ALL suppliers is fed from the same DSLAM in the cabinet. ADSL is fed from the exchange where each LLU provider will have their own DSLAMs.

Again the penny has dropped. Bringing out the pedant in me.

This is a BT retail forum.

You are correct ALL Bt retail ADSL broadband comes from a DSLAM in the exchange.

This from a pedant's point of view is incorrect. Only 20CN customers will have a discrete  DSLAM. 21CN customers, 99.9% of your customers, have a MSAN not a DSLAM providing there ADSL all be it in the exchange.

So this should technically be described as a DSLAM with integrated aggregation node or to give it it's proper name a Multi Service Access Node.

So actually in real world it's called a MSAN in BT Retail marketing speak It's a DSLAM always has been always will be.

Below the real world. If FTTC installed think PCP as Green Cabinet. See marketing below.

coperN.jpg

Marketing description of FTTC. MSAN is called DSLAM not in the real world ouside BT retail.

fttccop.jpg

Below where your ADSL truly comes from with technically correct names. The EXCHANGE from a MSAN.

2nowThis.jpg

Once a pedant always a pedant. Thanks kits for the mental kick up the backside. Made me think.

It is possible to get ADSL2 out of a green cabinet just not in respect to BT retail as they do not sell GEA connections only broadband. As it is an Openreach optional extra you would need a good reason and deep pockets to order this.

The only question I have left is Do BT Retail uses PTA or L2P2 for establishing a PPP session on ADSL1/2/+?

Thank you again @licquorice  for making me think for myself.

Edit for more BOLDNESS

0 Ratings
DiggerOfTrenches
Contributor
Message 25 of 31

Absolutely crazy. So is VDSL delivered from a cabinet in the exchange grounds to serve ex EO lines any more 'Fibre' broadband than the ADSL delivered from within the building?

As I have said before, taken to the ultimate limit, dial up internet can be considered Fibre by the ASA's reckoning as there will be fibre somewhere in the path.

https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,23329.msg395796.html#msg395796

Or not.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 26 of 31

There will ALWAYS be fibre somewhere in the path of an internet connection regardless of the end user's connection type.

What do you think carries the signal from the exchange/MSAN to the BRAS and through the core network, carrier pigeons?

DiggerOfTrenches
Contributor
Message 27 of 31

Screenshot from 2019-05-11 05-37-15.jpg

I was quoting your/you clone. I thougt they used tin cans and string. You have to the feed pigeons, expensive.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 28 of 31

I know you were quoting me, I was responding to your last 2 words which indicated you doubted my words.
0 Ratings
DiggerOfTrenches
Contributor
Message 29 of 31

I think I am trying to agree with you. There are some strange Heath Robinson technical solutions employed by Openreach that appear on the surface to 'come from the exchange' but scratch the surface and who knows what you might find. especially if Kelly com etc. have had a hand in it. In my industry it is described as a 'snakes wedding reception' but you still have to understand what the snakes are up to before you can 'fix' the snakes which are preventing the snake(me) going on honeymoon(fixing the problem). The point of all this is if I have to fix my own internet, BT won't help, I need to understand how it actually works in the real and not the marketing hype world of the internet floggers. Or can we agree to disagree and move on. Do you know the answer to PTA/L2TP question, a BT retail specific question? Does it depend on type of xDSL?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 30 of 31

No, I don't know the answer to that I'm afraid and other than satisfying curiousity I can't see how knowing would be of any practical help.
0 Ratings