cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DD2
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Don't Want The Switch Over. How Do I Stop It?

Out of nowhere I've been told the internet is changing in a few months to fibre instead of what I've used for years this ADSL thing.

Switch over day is in May. 

Been sent a new Hub. I didn't ask for and will not use. 

Switching over was supposed to be years away. I'm not standing for this. So how do I stop it please? 

I will just carry on using the Hub I have now. I don't need or use Wifi. I only use Broadband, no TV, no Games, No phone, No nothing. Just internet and if I could have been born in 1920 I'd have lived and died in a world that never knew it existed and I'd have been all the better for it. 

So I can just carry on as is and IGNORE all this nonsense. Yes? 

Been told by some that as long as I never connect this new hub I'm ok until they do switch off for real in 5/6 years hopefully I'll be dead by then anyway. 

Can someone confirm all this please, if not then this is the end for me. I lasted decades without all this and I can do so again, not to mention the cost per year and then they stick this on me!!!! No. Enough!! I don't want it and won't be conned into it by lies about switching off signals. 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
garybs29
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Don't Want The Switch Over. How Do I Stop It?

If you've received communication there should be a number on it to call if you don't want to go ahead

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

@DD2 

Its not compulsory, you can opt out by calling 0800 917 3245.

See this post by a moderator https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/Confused-about-fibre-switch-over/m-p/1996295#M116107

Unless you are given the option of FTTP (Fibre To The Premises), you are still going to be connected via a copper pair to the cabinet.

You can check what is available, and what may be offered using the form below.

In order to find out what services are available, please enter your phone number into this form. You may end up being worse off, if you are a long distance from the cabinet.

Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

@DD2 wrote:

Out of nowhere I've been told the internet is changing in a few months to fibre instead of what I've used for years this ADSL thing.

Switch over day is in May. 

Been sent a new Hub. I didn't ask for and will not use. 

Why, one hub is no different to another.

Switching over was supposed to be years away. I'm not standing for this. So how do I stop it please? 

I will just carry on using the Hub I have now. I don't need or use Wifi. I only use Broadband, no TV, no Games, No phone, No nothing. Just internet and if I could have been born in 1920 I'd have lived and died in a world that never knew it existed and I'd have been all the better for it. 

If you currently have a home hub you already have wifi, whether you choose to use it or not is up to you.

So I can just carry on as is and IGNORE all this nonsense. Yes? 

In what way is progress 'nonsense'.

Been told by some that as long as I never connect this new hub I'm ok until they do switch off for real in 5/6 years hopefully I'll be dead by then anyway. 

Can someone confirm all this please, if not then this is the end for me. I lasted decades without all this and I can do so again, not to mention the cost per year and then they stick this on me!!!!

There is no cost impact

No. Enough!! I don't want it and won't be conned into it by lies about switching off signals. 

Not lies, ADSL will be switched off at some point, maybe later rather than sooner, but switched off it will be.

0 Ratings
ThinkPadUser
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Difficult to see how, as they are still moving and providing service over copper (FTTC).

The cost of providing a fibre only connection would be very high, and would show little benefit.

There are an awful lot of local copper cable connections.

0 Ratings
iniltous
Guru
Message 7 of 7

It’s not the entire copper network, FTTC/Gfast as well as FTTP will be in OR’s portfolio, over time ‘telephony’ will be the add on to Ethernet access, rather than as now, broadband being the add on to a PSTN telephony service, effectively the copper E side, MDF , and exchange switches will pretty much be redundant, any telephony required would be provided by as a VOIP service, in fact that is why a 0.5Mb tier of service is being introduced, for those that don’t want broadband but do want telephony, the small bandwidth more than adequate for VOIP, the copper D side remaining for some for quite some time.

In the OP’s case, they may want to remain on exchange based ADSL , but if VDSL is provided at the same or lower cost, then ultimately them will have no choice but to change , however much of a Luddite they may be