Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lenevaelena
Beginner
Message 1 of 17

Download Speeds Dropped Dramatically - Broadband Fault Not Fixed

Go to solution

Hello,

I've been trying to sort an issue with my download speed & had no luck with either Online Chat or fault tracker, so I thought I'd ask here.

For the past two months or so, I've been getting download speeds of about 0.30 mbps, with upload speeds remaining relatively normal at about 2 mbps. I've been a customer of the same service & at the same flat for over 1.5 years and my download speeds constantly hit around 8 mbps, at the lowest.

Nothing has changed in my hardware or software configurations, and my connection is fully wired (no WiFi): PC to Hub to Filter to Wall Outlet.

I have also checked and made sure no programs or malware/virus/etc. are hogging up the speed.

Is there anyway I can contact a BT representative who could look into this? An e-mail or message hopefully.

Fault tracker found a broadband fault, that BT marked "Resolved" after a few days, without fixing or improving anything.

Phone and Online Chat have been absolutely unhelpful twice, as I spent 1.5 hours each time, and both ended with the rep asking me to switch Wi-Fi channels or my ethernet cable.

(I have bought a new ethernet cable, and I am not even using WiFi.)

Cheers,

Elena

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: Download Speeds Dropped Dramatically - Broadband Fault Not Fixed

Go to solution
Hi Welcome to the community forums

Have you tried the quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 you should hear no noise if you can hear noise then it needs reporting to BT faults on 151 with no mention of broadband
in the call are you connected to the test socket using a new filter

if using a hub 4 locate these lines located in the hub logs
Lines should look like this
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.460000) DSL noise margin: 7.00 dB upstream, 6.10 dB downstream
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.390000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 288 Kbps downstream

if u The stats for the Home Hub 6 can be found on the Information page from http://192.168.1.254 then Advanced Settings -> Technical Log. 

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Can you use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down.

This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

Thank You
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 17

Go to solution
This is a customer to customer self help forum posts made here do not go to BT although the forum is moderated by BT not every post is read
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution

Hi @lenevaelena and welcome.

If you can post the details as requested by @john46 I'm sure we'll be able to help you.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
lenevaelena
Beginner
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution

Thank you both for the prompt replies!

As per your instructions, I checked the phone on 17070 (selecting option 2) and everything sounded fine.

The results of the broadband checker are in the screenshot below:

BT Broadband Checker Results.JPG

My router log (I have the Home Hub 4) shows: 

00:08:06, 15 Nov.  DSL Link Up: Down Rate=13223Kbps, Up Rate=1235Kbps ; SNR Margin Down=6.1db, Up=6.5db

I ran a few BT speed tests at different times showing the avg. download speed of 1.1 Mbps, upload at 0.9 Mbps, and a ping of 28ms.

Any ideas on what may have happened/how to fix?

Cheers,

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution

from your post you have a 13mb conenction speed which is far better than your estimate from checker

can you run btspeedtster and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results  

btspeedtester

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
lenevaelena
Beginner
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution

I tried running the diagnostic test several times, in different browsers, and I keep getting an error message saying:

"Test Error: Currently unable to run speed test, try again."

I made sure to enter my phone number, postal code and address correctly, and tried different formats for the postal code (ie. XXX XXX, XXXXXX, etc.)

The first part of the test (the one with the speeds and ping) always works fine.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution
you only need to enter the phone number have you tried another web browser the other data entries are for fibre to home services not standard broadband
0 Ratings
lenevaelena
Beginner
Message 9 of 17

Go to solution

I tried running the 2nd part of the test again, but even after entering my phone number only, as soon as I click "run diagnostic test", the text box with the phone number clears, and nothing happens, even after waiting for quite a bit.

I have now tried this on multiple browsers (Chrome, IE, Firefox, Opera, etc.) under various configs (allow all popups, etc.) and nothing seems to change.

Only one time (after over 30 attempts at diff. times, using my standard browser & pc config) it continued, and asked me to do a Tap3 test, which required me to change my broadband username on my router to speedtest@speedtest_domain. 

I followed all the instructions but my router was unable to connect with the above credentials and I had to restore it to my original broadband username (bthomehub@btbroadband.com).

Screenshots below. Is there any other way of looking into this & fixing it? (Considering there are no phone line faults and the connection is wired attaining a decent upload speed, surely it must be something that can be fixed on BT servers.)

Capture 4.JPG

Capture 3.JPG

Capture 1.JPG

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution
Have you got java enabled as the speedtest further diagnostics needs java to run
0 Ratings