cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
egw21
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Download speed reduced from 2.8 mb/s to 0.5 to 1 mb/s - heavy usage??

Hi, I live a way from my exchange (Woolhampton) and so don't get great speeds. However we've been up at 2.8 mb/s to 3 mb/s which has been pretty good for us. Recently we've had someone come to live with us and our data usage has gone up a lot (20Mb over the past 48 hours!). We've also swapped from a home hub 2 to smart hub. Our download speeds have collapsed and now we get 0.5 mb/s frequently and now late at night it's at its best at around 1 mb/s. Could this be the exchange capping our usage given a lot of downloading? Scores from the hub are pasted below: Connection status: Connected Downstream: 2.72 Mbps Upstream: 448.00 kbps But if I run an online speed test they are way lower than this downloading. More data: Maximum data rate: 972 / 2648 Noise margin: 16 dB / 8.9 dB Line attenuation: 55.5 dB Signal attenuation: 31.5 dB / 55.5 dB VPI / VCI: 0/38 Modulation: G_992_1_ANNEX_A Latency type: Fast Path Clearly it's not a great line given the distances but we have had 3 mb/s or there abouts for years and only recently it has collapsed. It's not our wiring and it's a newish house so I think our speed must be being capped. Any help would be very gratefully received (even if it is asking the girl who has come to live with us to download less!). Many thanks, Edward
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
egw21
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 10

Re: Download speed reduced from 2.8 mb/s to 0.5 to 1 mb/s - heavy usage??

Here is the BTW speed test - it is better than it has been for a while but still much, much slower than it was. It's normally half this. Thanks again, Edward Results Image not loaded 1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information. Download Speed 1.15 Mbps 0 Mbps 4 Mbps Max Achievable Speed Download speedachieved during the test was - 1.15 Mbps For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1.2 Mbps-4 Mbps. IP Profile for your line is - 2.4 Mbps 2. Upstream Test: -provides background information. Upload Speed 0.28 Mbps 0 Mbps 0.45 Mbps Max Achievable Speed Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.28Mbps Additional Information: Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.45 Mbps This test was not conclusive and further testing is required.This might be useful for your Broadband Service Provider to investigate the fault. If you wish to carry out further tests,please click on 'Continue' button.If not, please close the window using 'Exit' button and contact your ISP for further assistance with these results. Please visit the FAQ if you are unable to understand the test results.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

BT do not cap your downloads
0 Ratings
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 10

What does BT Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

can you check for line noise by dialing 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with a corded phone

have you tried using the test socket with a filter which is behind bottom half of master socket  this helps eliminate internal wiring form causing problems

are you testing using a wired connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
G4RHL
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 10

I have logged in as a former Home Hub user just to see if things have improved but I see that has not happened. Over the years I have had a number of BT Home Hubs foolishly upgrading, thinking things would get better. The latest, so called “fastest”, was a failure like the others. We would suffer frequent drop outs around the house even with extenders configured. To get some semblance of decent service I set it up so that once a week it would switch off in the early hours for 15 minutes and then come back on again. This helped, but still the drop outs occurred. To be honest I found it next to useless. I paid a lot more and replaced it with a third party product, Netegar’s Orbi. Not cheap but well worth the investment. That was January 2017 and we have not had a drop out since, compared to the daily ones suffered with the Home Hub. Not only that I can pick up the signal down the garden. Even the BT TV box would struggle getting its signal from the BT Home Hub, even when hard wired into an extender.  No issues now with the Orbi.

I have read so much about people having problems with the Home Hub, but BT don’t listen. I suppose it is done on the cheap.

Thus if users are having issues then I suggest it may be better to abandon the Home Hub and use a better third party product.

0 Ratings
egw21
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Here is the BT wholesale line checker result - many thanks Telephone Number [x] on Exchange WOOLHAMPTON is served by Cabinet 6

ADSL Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate(Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) Availability Date Left in Jumper

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 1 -- 1 to 3.5 Available -- -- -- --

ADSL Max Up to 1 -- 0.75 to 2.5 Available -- -- -- -- WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available -- -- -- -- Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available -- -- -- -- Other Offerings Availability Date ADSL Multicast -- -- -- Available -- -- -- -- Premise environment Status Bridge Tap U VRI N NTEFaceplate N Last Test Date 17-05-2017 For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage. This line is on a Market A Exchange.

0 Ratings
egw21
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Thanks.  It is connected to test socket.  Quiet line test seems ok

0 Ratings
egw21
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Thanks all for comments.  I have replied.  I suspect our profile must have changed as we have had pretty good download speed (between 2.5 mbps and 3.0 mbps for seven years but it has collapsed recently.  Any help gratefully received. 

0 Ratings
andy_p
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Welcome to woolhampton issues.

It's great to to see a fellow soul post here. Clearly there is something going on that OpenReach are not sharing

I have a couple of other posts ranting .. I will start another entitled woolhampton issues .. please post there so we there is an aggreagte

0 Ratings