cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
james_tech
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Drop in DSL sync speed 8Mbit+ -> sub 500k downstream.

Go to solution

Hi forum,

I've had a mostly stable DSL line since I've moved into this house approx 8 months ago. DSL sync was 8Mbit+ , in general everything was fine.

As of last friday, the connection has been flaky and unusable, spent numerous hours talking to BT "support" who keep insisting everything is fine, when it's demonstrably not.

I was using a Cisco 877, and have now switched to my previously unused HH4 for diagnostics - and of course swapped microfilters too. The problem remains the same, no matter the hardware used.

I've done a quiet line test and hear nothing. 

I've reset and changed routers a few times, hence the low uptime in the stats.

HH4 Router diagnostic information below.

1.	Product Name:	HomeHub4
2.	Serial number:	+076281+1519002043
3.	Firmware version:	v0.07.03.30329-BT (Type B) Last updated 6/8/2016
4.	Board version:	01A
5.	DSL uptime:	0 days, 11:51:24
6.	Data Rate:	444 / 288
7.	Maximum Data Rate:	1152 / 6344
8.	Noise Margin:	30.6 / 31.3
9.	Line Attenuation:	16.7 / 25.0
10.	Signal Attenuation:	17.2 / 26.9
11.	Data sent/received:	22.0 MB / 132.1 MB
12.	Broadband username:	bthomehub@btbroadband.com

Any help to get this fixed would be very much appreciated!

thanks

James M

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Drop in DSL sync speed 8Mbit+ -> sub 500k downstream.

Go to solution

Looks like the 'flaky' connection and then all the attempts to improve your conenction have resulted in banded profile. You now need to maintain a stable connection 24/7 for 3/5 days and banding should start to release automatically with noise margin dropping and connection speed increasing

https://www.plus.net/help/archive/broadband/broadband-terminology-guide/?supportarchive

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
james_tech
Beginner
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks for the tip - it makes sense. I wish I'd asked here first!

How sensitive is the disconnect checking at the exchange? I want to swap back to the Cisco at some point, obviously after 5+ days.

Does the DSL automatically retrain to the new speeds as the restrictions are relaxed?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

the DLM will start to release the banding after 3/5 days stable conenction until noise margin goes down to about normal 6db.  once banding releases I would wait coouple of days before manual disconnecting to change router

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
james_tech
Beginner
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

To avoid these problems in the future, is there any way to signal to the DSLAM that this is a graceful shutdown?

My Cisco can shutdown the dialer interface to do in effect a PPPoA logout, while keeping the DSL connection - would this have helped? I've not found anything similar in the HH4's menus.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

the hubs have te facility to 'connect/disconnect' wic is normally te way I use as I see this as a 'soft' reset as against just switching off or pulling out rj11 cable

0 Ratings
james_tech
Beginner
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

Just to keep track of how this is progressing ( or not ), here's today's stats after 3 days of uptime.

1.	Product Name:	HomeHub4
2.	Serial number:	+076281+1519002043
3.	Firmware version:	v0.07.03.30329-BT (Type B) Last updated 6/8/2016
4.	Board version:	01A
5.	DSL uptime:	3 days, 00:19:49
6.	Data Rate:	444 / 288
7.	Maximum Data Rate:	1076 / 6428
8.	Noise Margin:	29.9 / 31.8
9.	Line Attenuation:	16.7 / 25.0
10.	Signal Attenuation:	17.2 / 26.9
11.	Data sent/received:	120.5 MB / 757.5 MB

No change yet. I realise I've got to wait another 2 days 😉

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

now you have shown stable for 3 days then see if mods will help and get you out of banding  they will post a contact us link here  

contact mods.jpg

After completing the email NOT PM then you join a queue of other customers waiting for mod help. The mods will get back to you in 2/3 working days either by phone or email

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

Hi @james_tech

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your posts!

Sorry for the problems you're having with your broadband speed.  It does look like the circuit is in a banded profile.  You can send us over your details and we'll give you a hand from here.

Click on my username here >> RobbieMac << and you'll see our contact link on the left hand side underneath my profile picture.

Cheers,

Robbie

0 Ratings
james_tech
Beginner
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

just filled out the contact form - thanks @RobbieMac

0 Ratings