Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
norsenoddy
Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Electric fencing

Go to solution

Hi I have major problems keeping a usable connection every year between May - November . I know the main ( I think ) cause " Electric Fencing " which runs directly  parallel with underground line for about 200 mtrs  , is there any solution for this ?  cheers

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Electric fencing

Go to solution

Electric fencing if properly insulated, should not cause problems. Its only when sparking occurs due to poor insulation or proximity to nearby objects,

If you can take a portable medium wave radio, and walk along the route of the fencing, you should be able to her a load click every couple of seconds. This will be loudest where the sparking is occurring, and you may even hear the sparking audibly, when you are very close.

If you can identify where it is sparking, then you may be able to see the cause, and ask the farmer if they could help.

norsenoddy
Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply , I've done that test many times and get a constant clicking which matches the clicking on the telephone but appears the same all along the fence Smiley Sad

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

Electric fences 'pulse' a high voltage from a 12v battery, it will be the pulsing energiser that is affecting the broadband. Other than persuading the farmer not to use the fencing, I'm afraid there is very little you can do.

Found this Googling

TV AND TELEPHONE INTERFERENCE

HOTLINE Energisers do not cause interference. This is normally caused by bad joints, leaking insulation or vegetation touching the fence line. If you are experiencing interference please follow the checklist below:

• The Energiser Earth system must be sufficient.
  • The Energiser Earth System must be 10m away from the mains supply, safety Earth and buried water pipes.
  • The energiser MUST NOT be connected to the mains supply safety earth or to the water supply pipes.
  • The mains power supply plugs and sockets for the radio and the energiser must be in good working order. No Loose Connections.
  • The energiser earth cable must not touch buildings, which can act as a broadcast aerial. Use double insulated (HTG) cable or run the wire to earth using HOTLINE insulators.
  • The energiser's ground system should be at least 10m away from radios and buried telephone wires.
  • Avoid running the electric fence line parallel to power or telephone lines.
  • Use only top quality HOTLINE insulators. Sparking inside cracked or poor quality insulators causes interference.
  • Vegetation touching the fence line close to the radio can also cause sparking and therefore interference.
  • To locate sparking caused by leakage, faulty joins, broken wires or faulty insulators, walk the fence line with a transistor radio tuned off station on the AM band on high volume. The clicking will get louder as the fault is approached.
norsenoddy
Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

it's battery powered but the grounding is very close to underground lines ( I also think it's pretty poor one rusty rod about 1 and a half mtrs long ) and runs parallel , I'll have get out for a longer walk with the radio sometime , cheers

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution
As mentioned, tune the AM radio to 612KHz and walk the route. Openreach REIN trained engineers have a tester to locate the source but all it is is an AM radio.
They can locate where the problem lies however they have no powers to instruct the person who's equipment is causing the problem to get it repaired or turn it off
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
norsenoddy
Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution
It's going to be a good long walk testing this fence covers about six fields 😞
0 Ratings
norsenoddy
Contributor
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

Why is this marked as a solved ? the problem isn't solved I still have useless internet

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution
I guess it's because that's about all the help the forum can give you.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

Hi @norsenoddy  and welcome back.

Thanks for posting. I'm sorry you're having problems with the electric fence causing your broadband to drop out. The advice offered by the other members is correct in this case. Your best bet might be to speak with the farmer to try and resolve this. Sorry we can't be of any more help this time.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”