cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Engineer appointment activation day cancelled, BT automatically switching me to ADSL/Broadband

Go to solution

I ordered fibre on 10th March (for a new house I just moved into), an engineer was supposed to come and install fibre on 26th March, but due to the Covid-19 virus, I recieved an e-mail saying the appointment was cancelled.

The following e-mail then said BT cannot supply fibre (for now) and will automatically switch our line to standard ADSL Copper Broadband instead, without an engineer having to set anything up in my home and that I won't have to do anything at all.

We recieved the 'Smart Hub 2' and have it connected to an Openreach phone socket, but won't connect to the internet, so I assume it has not been fully activated yet.

My question is: Will the ADSL broadband just 'kick in' and start working without me having to do anything? And also as today is activation day, how long roughly does it take for the internet to go live?

Smart Hub 2 did not come with a filter, but we found an old standard white one, will this filter work, or does it need to be an official BT filter?

Additional notes:

• The property is not fully 'fibre ready' it first needs additional testing, installation and wiring (which will take 2-4 weeks).
  • There are two phone sockets, one is Openreach with a master socket, the other is a much older looking standard telephone socket.
  • The previous owner of the property did have internet and a phone line (unknown ISP ).
  • We currently have no internet or active phone line at all at the property; me and my brother work from home, so no internet is severely affecting our business.

Sorry for the wall of text, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
Mike

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Engineer appointment activation day cancelled, BT automatically switching me to ADSL/Broadband

Go to solution

@MikeyPea wrote:

I ordered fibre on 10th March (for a new house I just moved into), an engineer was supposed to come and install fibre on 26th March, but due to the Covid-19 virus, I recieved an e-mail saying the appointment was cancelled.

The following e-mail then said BT cannot supply fibre (for now) and will automatically switch our line to standard ADSL Copper Broadband instead, without an engineer having to set anything up in my home and that I won't have to do anything at all.

We recieved the 'Smart Hub 2' and have it connected to an Openreach phone socket, but won't connect to the internet, so I assume it has not been fully activated yet.

My question is: Will the ADSL broadband just 'kick in' and start working without me having to do anything? And also as today is activation day, how long roughly does it take for the internet to go live?

Smart Hub 2 did not come with a filter, but we found an old standard white one, will this filter work, or does it need to be an official BT filter?

Additional notes:

• The property is not fully 'fibre ready' it first needs additional testing, installation and wiring (which will take 2-4 weeks).
  • There are two phone sockets, one is Openreach with a master socket, the other is a much older looking standard telephone socket.
  • The previous owner of the property did have internet and a phone line (unknown ISP ).
  • We currently have no internet or active phone line at all at the property; me and my brother work from home, so no internet is severely affecting our business.

Sorry for the wall of text, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
Mike

@MikeyPea 

Once ADSL is activated, your home hub will connect using your original filter.

I assume you are working from home because your place of work is closed, or are you a BT Business customer?

Is your phone line working with a BT Retail phone number yet?

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Re: Engineer appointment activation day cancelled, BT automatically switching me to ADSL/Broadband

Go to solution

I was planned to have FTTP installed on 3rd April, this is on an existing BT line, but not had broadband on it for over a year as it was so rubbish (currently using mobile broadband) - this is the last thing I'd want them to do for me, im saving £8 a month for not having any active broadband connection at present, and I certainly dont want to pay a single penny for any ADSL service as it wont be used.

Im glad you brought this up, didnt even occur to me that they might try this.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution
Thank you for responding.

We work at our company premises and also do a lot of work from home as we are directors of the company.

Unfortunately we don't have a phone to plug in and test at the moment.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

The phone line has to be activated first. Once that has been done, then broadband should follow within a couple of days.

Try and get hold of a phone to see if the line is working. If you dial 150, you should get a welcome message from BT.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Sorry to hear that.

We also tried using our phones on 4G as a mobile hotspot, but we have such poor signal, constant disconnecting and everything is just too slow, we can't get work done, especially for business work like uploading and downloading.

We also have limited data usage for the month and it is too expensive to upgrade to a bigger package on top of the new fibre we were anticipating on being installed.

Mike

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

I see.

Just to clarify, when we ordered fibre, we literally only ordered fibre. We did not get or pay for a landline within that package.

I assume fibre goes through a dedicated wire that does not require a regular landline, not sure.

My point being as we aren't paying for a landline service of any kind it may not be active unless we choose to pay/activate it maybe?

Nevertheless, I will try and get my hands on a phone to perform your suggested test.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

I am assuming that you are a residential customer and not a business one?

Residential broadband prices include the line rental, but any calls are charged as PAYG.

You will always have a phone line associated with your connection, whether you use it or not.

The exception being business private circuits.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Ahh ok makes sense now.

Yes, residential customer, forgot to mention sorry.

Your advice/answers have been very reassuring and helpful; I thank you kind Sir or Madame.

0 Ratings