cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Erratic and abysmal upload speed

Hello, I'm new here although a BT user for many years (and former employee). I upgraded Nov last year to a fibre package with expected download 11-20Mb and upload 1-2Mb. The Smart Hub indicates  download of 14 and upload of 540Kb, a bit optimistic but ball park confirmed by independent testing. Yesterday I tried uploading a 500Mb file which should have taken 15-20 mins max; for the first 20-30 seconds it seemed to upload at this rate but it then dropped to about 30Kb and fluctuated between this and 0 for the next 4 hrs at which point I terminated it at about 65% completion. I reset the router tried again and the same thing happened. Prior to the fibre upgrade uploads were still slow at about 450Kb  but it at least kept to that speed.

4 wks ago I'd tried to do something similar and I had the same problems as now.  BT sent me a new Hub but this clearly isn't the solution. Bizarrely the upload appeared to go backwards a couple of times eg dropped from 63% to 61% completion. I was told upload speed isn't guaranteed but I don't understand why it starts off ok and then plunges dramatically to leave me with a speed that fluctuates between pathetic and non existent. And to make things worse the download became virtually unusable while trying to upload. Sorry this is a bit of an essay but I'd be very grateful for any help in fixing this.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Erratic and abysmal upload speed

@MT10 

Welcome to this user forum.

In order to find out what services and speed range you should be getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

Could you also please display your connection speed.

If you are using the BT Smart hub you can get your connection stats by, Opening a new web browser on your connected device and type 192.168.1.254 or bthomehub.home into the address bar. This will open the Hub Manager.  Click Advanced Settings’ and then ‘Technical log’

Can you also provide the results from this test.

https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

This must be done with a computer connected to the home hub using a direct Ethernet cable.

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Hello Keith, many thanks for your prompt response. Is this what you need? Sorry format maybe not quite as expected, the system has changed it owing  to invalid HTML which I don't understand. Second lot of stats in next post because I'm told I'd exceeded 20,000 characters which I find hard to believe but there you go. No noise whatever on the line.

on Exchange REDHILL is served by Cabinet 25

Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)WBC FTTC Availability DateWBC SOGEA Availability DateLeft in Jumper  High Low High Low        Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)WBC FTTP Availability Date

ADSL ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date
Left in JumperObserved SpeedsVDSLADSLOther Offerings

Availability Date

Premise environmentStatus

VDSL Range A (Clean)24153.51.713.1AvailableAvailable-- 
VDSL Range B (Impacted)23.512.83.51.48.8AvailableAvailable-- 
FTTP on Demand33030--Available---- 
WBC ADSL 2+Up to 6.5--5.5 to 7.5Available--Yes 
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 6.5Up to 15.5 to 7.5Available--Yes 
ADSL MaxUp to 3.5--2.5 to 7Available---- 
WBC Fixed Rate2 ----Available--Yes 
Fixed Rate2 ----Available---- 
Max Observed Downstream Speed (Mbps)14.2711.51     
Max Upstream Observed Speed (Mbps)0.580.44     
Observed Date2019-12-182019-09-29     
VDSL Multicast------Available---- 
ADSL Multicast------Available---- 
Bridge TapN      
VRIN      
NTEFaceplateN      
Last Test Date30-01-2020  
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

This is a list of your BT Smart Hub settings and current statistics.

Product code:Smart Hub 2

Serial number:+091301+1932007461

Firmware version:v0.16.02.08304-BT

Firmware updated:Fri Jan 31 12:20:57 2020

Board version:R01

GUI version:1.56 15_02_2019

DSL uptime:0 days,14 Hours11 Mins02 Secs

Data rate:542 Kbps / 14.59 Mbps

Maximum data rate:676 Kbps / 17.998 Mbps

Noise margin:7.3 / 6.8

Line attenuation:16.4 / 28.0

Signal attenuation:14.5 / 24.3

VLAN id:101

Upstream error control:Off

Downstream error control:Off

Data sent / received:405.7 MB Uploaded  / 2.6 GB Downloaded

Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:Activated

2.4 GHz wireless network name:BT-77A6T5

2.4 GHz wireless channel:Smart (Channel11)

5 GHz wireless network name:BT-77A6T5

5 GHz wireless channel:Smart (Channel36)

Wireless security:WPA2 (Recommended)

Wireless mode:Mode 1

Firewall:On

MAC address:F0:86:20:1F:D6:18

Software variant:-

Boot loader: 0.1.7-BT (Thu Nov 30 09:45:22 2017

Second part
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Sorry, forgot the BT Wholesale test. No other devices were connected and anti virus disabled

BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test

Broadband Speed Test Results

Download Speed (Mbps): 9.64

Upload Speed (Mbps) : 0.86

Ping Latency (ms): 24

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

have you tried using the test socket with a filter to see if that improves your connection speed which is below range expected

if you connect to test socket can you post new stats from hub

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

It's a 2 section box with the Openreach logo, you mean undoing the lower section and plugging the filter into the socket underneath? Afraid there may be a bit of a delay in the results as I have to pop out for a couple of hours

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

Hello imjolly, I found a couple of filters but don't know how old they are. Plugging them in to the test socket, on each one the phone signal was fine but neither gave a broadband connection, the Hub just flashed purple. Does this mean they are too old or is this a wiring problem? If the latter, since it was originally put in by an Openreach engineer I'd be very unhappy to face a potential call out charge to rectify it. What are your thoughts?

0 Ratings