cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Exchange Only line - getting an upgrade

We have an exchange (EMBREAD) in our village (350m from my house to be exact) and a cabinet. The village has been fibre enabled (FTTC) but we (6 new houses + 2 existing) have a direct connection to the exchange and can only get ADSL2+. 

My router is synced at 20Mbps down and 900kbps up. A speed test shows 14Mbps down and 400kbps up. It's the upload that is not enough and we're all frustrated trying to work from home for the last 6 months.

We (the 6 new houses) have been through every channel we can find to get an upgrade, get funding but the only option we have found is £7k for a community fibre partnership to install fibre to a nearby pole so we can get FTTP. This is a lot of money and I'm not sure everyone involved is going to go for it.

Does anyone know any route we can take here? I'm concerned that BT will roll out FTTP to 99% of the country and we'll still be on copper in 2030!

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Exchange Only line - getting an upgrade

until openreach (NOT BT) either build a cab outside exchange so you can get FTTC or your area gets cabled for FTTP then there is not much you can do  you can try your local council Fibre broadband and see if they have any plans to improve your connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

I had the same problem, I was the only home in my small village still on exchange only, I went down the Local MSP route for over six months and finally got a message from BT and my MSP that they could do no more for me. I therefore searched out the CEO of BT at the time email address and sent him all the circumstances and excuses I had been given over the six months.

I was contacted by telephone the following day, to arrange instal, four days later 3 people turned up, laid 10 feet of cable in new trench from the box which is against my garden wall to my house and within six working days I had 76mb broadband the same as everyone else in the village.

Moral, some time barefaced cheek and going right to the top works. So don't give up.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Have you looked at the grants for Community Fibre partnerships under the DCMS Gigabit scheme?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Thanks but we are not classed as Rural so don't qualify

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Thanks, I've tried the CEO and have got a quick response. One of the senior colleagues called me back.

The answer wasn't great though, just repeated the rule book and we don't fit into any schemes so no answers.

0 Ratings