Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Exchange only line

Go to solution

Hi can anyone help with info of how to get my exchange only line changed? There is a fibre cabinet just down the road and my next door neighbour has fibre but bt installed a eo line when I ordered fibre and now they won't do anything to change things. I can only less than 2mb. I have gone to fastershire but no joy 😞

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Exchange only line

Go to solution
simple answer is you cannot Openreach network is bespoke and just moving one line is not financially viable it is nothing to do with BT it applies to all providers
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Can't quite see how it's nothing to do with bt as there was no phone line when I moved in and bt said fibre was available on the order but ended up with an expensive phone line I didn't really need to get a pathetic less than 2mb broadband!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution
The network is owned and maintained by Openreach not BT Retail your service provider BT Retail have no control over the routing of the network this applies to another 500+ service providers as well also you cannot have broadband without an active phone line

to make it very simple BT Retail only rent the line from Openreach they have no control over how it is routed to the exchange and Openreach are only required to supply a voice line not broadband
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

OK I get that but as a customer I have no interaction with Openreach and if BT are saying I can order Fibre broadband then I have to assume that this is available. My point re the landline is that I am aware that in order to get broadband you (mostly) need a landline but if I knew I was only going to get 2mb I would have gone down the EE route of broadband via a dongle and saved myself the cost of an unrequired landline.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution
Whilst every effort is made to connect you as the records would show, sometimes they're incorrect, or, there's no spare pairs at the Distribution Point back to the cab.

In that instance a pair divert is done, bringing in a spare pair from another DP, which in this instance if this would done, would appear to be not connected to the same cabinet as the DP which was earmarked to serve your property.

Openreach have only an obligation to provide a working telephone line.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution
I take it all these replies are coming from people who have a connection to openreach, as it all seems to say tough and if you have a working phone when you wanted fibre broadband then you should be grateful. It's like me selling a computer with no screen and saying well you have a computer so don't complain, pretty sure I would be out of business quickly! Whether it's BT or Openreach the whole experience has been shoddy and unacceptable and I'm counting down the days to being released from being a BT customer. Come on virgin media, give these people some competition! I know VM not perfect but a dam sight better than this shower!
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution
This is a customer to customer self help forum posts made here do not go to BT although the forum is moderated by BT not every post is read the information posted is from personal experience
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution
No connectipn with Openreach. Have just worked in the industry for a long time and know the ins and outs. No point giving false hope or information to people.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings