Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 22

Re: Extreme low throughput

I am sure you appreciate this is just a customer to customer forum.

In order to find out what services and speed range you should be getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

Then do the same for a property which has a faster connection than yourself.

The mention of a VPN is not quite correct. What they mean is that you are possibly on a congested Virtual Path. This is quite common in a rural area fed from a small exchange which does not have 21cn equipment installed, and simply relies on a digital link back to the nearest main exchange. That will affect throughput, especially during peak times.

Its down to individual ISPs to request additional capacity, but I suspect that it may be the case, that BT Wholesale cannot provide it due to lack of infrastructure.

If you could provide the name of your local exchange, then one of the moderators can look to see if there is congestion reported on any of the Virtual Paths.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 12 of 22

Potentially two issues now, first , why has your current service slowed down ( congested virtual path a distinct possibility) and how come ‘fibre’ is available nearby but not apparently to you, it’s unclear when you say some neighbours have fibre , if that is fibre to the cabinet or fibre to the property (FTTC/FTTP).
If your line is E/O , then it’s delivered straight from the exchange , not via a PCP (cabinet) , so FTTC wouldn’t benefit you, and although it may seem odd, some close neighbours may not be E/O , and the cabinet that serves them may have FTTC.
As already suggested, if you post the details for your address/phone number , and those for a neighbour who you suspect or know has ‘fibre’ ( obscuring any phone number ) it may help explaining the second issue, accepting it won’t help with the first

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 22

Thanks for correcting the VP Not VPN.. 

our exchange is 01938 590xxx numbers

we did get very good speeds of 8Mb plus...

it’s just astonishing to me that we need 10 OR engs and then just two of them mention we might just might be on a VP which is choking the life out of the  speed to below the legal minimum for your lines.

it sounds like a case of switching broadband suppliers away from BT might be necessary

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 22

So your exchange is Llanymynech.

https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm?xid=61577&locality=13147

And these are the cabinets. You should be able to find your cabinet to see if has a fibre connection.

https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm?xid=61577&cabinets=13147

Your cabinet number would show on the broadband availability page. If no cabinet is shown, then you are on an EO cable.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 22

I did a quick look at the postcodes associated with that number range and its possible you are in this area, as this is one example that I found.

Capture.JPG

As you can see its mostly ADSL and has no 21CN WBC, but has 36% full fibre coverage, but it does not specify who provides it, so it may be some form of local provider.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 22

This is our exchange and we have FFTP ON THE POLE... i will look at this page on the pc which is better than the phone.. 

When I check on the BT website whether I can get fibre it says we can only get a DSL when I check next door they can get full fibre to the property 250 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 22

Ask next door to see who their provider is, if its not BT Retail, then it could be another provider who I have found that covers that area, but I am not allowed to say, as it would be against forum rules to discuss other ISPs.

If it is BT Retail, then I can give you a contact number which you can ring.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 22

Hi.. we are all BT 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 22

@GW1YQM wrote:

Hi.. we are all BT 

Well in that case, the solution should be easy.

Give this number a ring tomorrow 0800 587 4787.

They are the team that deal with fibre to the home, and should be able to give you more information.

If its connected next door, then provided there is capacity at the splitter, they should be able to arrange for Openreach to install an ONT similar to this, which I would expect that next door have.

new ONT.jpg

Looking up your phone number on the database, is not always accurate, as its primarily a copper connections database.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 22

That is perfect thank you very much for your help and assistance I will let you know how I get on.. Yes that is the equipment installed next door

0 Ratings