cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aarong96
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 31

Extremely Slow Broadband & Very High Ping Rate

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help out. Having moved houses recently, to what is known as the rural world - where fast broadband is thin and far.

We are currently acheiving Download speeds of around 0-3 (far different from the 76mb download we we're used to) and a incredibly high ping of usually somewhere between 100 & 400.

BT advertised speeds of 10-15mb download on this connection and contacting our local councils Rural Broadband scheme, they have confirmed an upgrade on our cabinet was performed in 2014 and we should be able to acheive at least 14mb download.

Looking at the Openreach DSL checker, its showing a max achievable speed of 4mb - does this represent the plan we are on or literally the max that the line can handle. Despite BT and Hampshire council stating otherwise?

I have seen on another thread a mod moving another user struggling with speeds off of a 'fixed' line connection; what does this entail? Looking at the Openreach checker, looks like we can acheive speeds of around 11.5mb on VDSL - how can we move across to this form of connection?

Also with such incredibly high ping rates, we are obviously finding a lot of webpage loading simply timing out and the connection keeps dropping. Could this suggest a fault on the line?

I have raised a fault with BT to investigate this; however very keep to get some understanding from a technical point of view.

Sorry for all the questions; I work in IT therefore am relatively technical - however not familiar with the different forms of connections and really trying to nail down whether our speed is the 'norm' or if there is an issue. I can provide traceroute stats for the ping, Openreach speed checker test results, OOKla speed results and also BT homehub info when home.

Thanks in advance for the help.

0 Ratings
30 REPLIES 30
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 31

Re: Extremely Slow Broadband & Very High Ping Rate

Hi Welcome to the community forums

Have you tried the quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 you should hear no noise if you can hear noise then it needs reporting to BT faults on 151 with no mention of broadband
in the call are you connected to the test socket using a new filter
once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

if using a hub 4 locate these lines located in the hub logs
Lines should look like this
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.460000) DSL noise margin: 7.00 dB upstream, 6.10 dB downstream
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.390000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 288 Kbps downstream

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Can you use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down.

This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

Thank You
0 Ratings
aarong96
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 31

Spoiler

Hi John, thanks for your help and for coming back to me.

Please see all tests below. 

The quiet test, comes back okay - no noise or sounds at all.

I have been unable to find the DSL link info within log files, we have a BT homehub 5 rather then a 4 - so not sure if this makes a difference.

Broadband Checker - 

Screen Shot 2016-08-19 at 21.47.50.png

Speed Tester - 

Screen Shot 2016-08-19 at 21.25.42.png

Ping on this was 120, still quite high - however lower then the 300-400 ping range saw yesterday.

BT Homehub 5 is displaying this - 

Downstream: 3.531 Mbps

Upstream: 448 Kbps

Thanks again!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 31

can you post the help desk page from your hub 5 in that case and also a traceroute to bbc.co.uk using windows command prompt

are you using a wired connection or wireless ?
0 Ratings
aarong96
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 31

Of course, here you go - 

Wired for the test, however in general wireless.

This traceroute was ran last night, however can run another if needed!

Screen Shot 2016-08-18 at 21.46.27.png

Screen Shot 2016-08-19 at 22.14.25.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 31

your low speed is due to a higher than normal indicating a number of hub restarts you need to maintain a stable connection for 3/5 days and then your noise margin will drop and your speed will increase

wireless connections will generally have higher latency

also due to the restart your latency has moved to interleaved in an attempt to stabilise the connection
0 Ratings
aarong96
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 31

Unfortunately I've had to restart the router every other day almost, in order to acquire a connection fast enough to load a webpage. The Ping rate shouldnt be that high; even over wifi - thats the type of ping you'd expect to see perhaps on public wifi? I consider anything over 50 to be terrible - so looking at a 50 to 300 isnt great.

Also are you able to advise on the questions in initial post; just in regards to the Open Reach website -

For example BT are advertising a 11-15mb average for our connection however Open Reach's site indicates that ADSL 2 goes up to 4.5 max; however VDSL can go up to 14mb.

Therefore something sounds a miss; how can we get onto VDSL - is that even possible?

Many thanks for the help.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 31

could you post the BT wholesale checker results editing out your phone number only http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.TelephoneNumberOutput

to get on to VDSl you would need to place an order
in your case that would be faster broadband with fibre as your speed is under the minimum BT use to call the service Infinity
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 31

also restarting your router is going to cause you more problems as the DLM will see the line as unstable and take action to stabilise the connection once you can post the further diagnostic section of the BT Wholesale speedtest we will be able hen to see if you have an IP Profile issue which I suspect you may have this will certainly affect down load speeds
0 Ratings
aarong96
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 31

No worries, had posted above - however also attached below; is this the correct info? (Also I think I mentioned 14mb on VDSL earlier, however actually 11mb). Shame we cant get FTTP on Demand :(, annoying BT 'hold' !

Screen Shot 2016-08-19 at 21.47.50.png

Thanks for the info below on VDSL; have a feeling the account is already on 'faster' broadband - so therefore must already be on VDSL. Is there anyway of telling from BT homehub or line without going for BT's indian call centres?

Thanks again!

0 Ratings