Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mds4544
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Extremely slow broadband (sub 1mbs)

Hi

Like many other contributors I can see on here, I am in dispair over my broadband connection.

I have called BT on several occaisions in 2017 and have continued to call this year when the connection appeared to drop.  In fact, it was not actually dropping but slowing to around 0.5mbs with ping times of 1000ms or more.

Since January of 2018 I have been keeping some notes.  I called twice in January, again in February and have a VOL code for that.  I then called again in April and a new VOL was openned.  I called on the same code in June and, after a few days, the fault was closed.

I called again today and was given yet another fault code.  Every call takes 1 hour and ends with them restting the network (what ever that means).

Here is my hub tech log (after the latest network reset):

Product name:

BT Hub 6A

Serial number:

+084319+NQ70185423

Firmware version:

SG4B1000B540

Firmware updated:

21-Apr-2018

Board version:

Gui version:

DSL uptime:

0 Days, 1 Hours 54 Minutes 27 Seconds

Data rate:

1.11 Mbps / 9.08 Mbps

Maximum data rate:

1062 / 8552

Noise margin:

6.7 dB / 0.4 dB

Line attenuation:

46 dB

Signal attenuation:

27.3 dB / 46 dB

VPI / VCI:

0/38

Modulation:

G_992_5_ANNEX_A

Latency type:

Fast Path

Data sent / received:

594 MB Uploaded / 2260 MB Downloaded

Broadband username:

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:

Active

2.4 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-3FCF

2.4 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 1)

5 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-3FCF

5 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 36)

Wireless security:

WPA2 (Recommended)

Wireless mode:

Mode 1

Firewall:

On

MAC address:

A4:08:F5:78:B6:75

Software variant:

-

Boot loader:

I did a quiet line check in January, February, April, June and today and the line is always silent.

BT Wholesale speedtest done now shows 62.75ping; 6.74 download; 0.92 upload which is very good for my line. 

When the line is faulty/slow connection, the BT test fails and shows an error.  Speedtest.net showed 108ping; 0.46 download; 0.19 upload at 2100 today.

On june 4th during the fault/slow connection, showed 792 ping 0.51 download; 0.09 upload.

As a result of previous calls to the help line and at no small inconvienience to me, my PC is now wired to the hub, the face plate is off and the filter plugged in to the test socket.  I have an easy way of unplugging the Hive hub and shutting down the Sky box and I did all of this for the fault in June and there was no change in the results.

I need to find a way to raise this beyond the normal help centre script as it is an intermittant fault.  If I can't achieve that then I will need to change supplier and see if another company can achieve more with Openreach than BT have managed.  So I write here as a last effort.  I have resorted to buying a 4G router and sim so I can at least work reliably but my Sky box, Hive system and other connections are dropping out every time it happens and the cost of the 4G is prohibitive but I will cease the line entirely unless some progress is made.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Extremely slow broadband (sub 1mbs)

are you still connected to test socket with a filter?  if so have you checked that there is no dial tone at any extension socket?

your down noise margin is exceptionally low at 0.4db as normal is about 6db and will be causing your conenction to drop especially in the evening

which master do you have  fibre SSFP.jpgtest socket.jpgoriginal.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
mds4544
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for the reply.

The socket is the  middle type, it says Master Socket 5C on the top.  It was replaced about a year ago when we had it moved to a different room (which shortened the run from the pole).

The filter is in the test socket and no extensions are wired.

I am fed from a pole and have been told by a near neighbour that the cabinet is some 500m away in the opposite direction from the exchange.  I am 1.2 km from the exchange so I think the cable run is some 2.2km.

My house predates almost of the neighbours by 20 years or more.  I notice the newer houses are fed underground from a cabinet nearer the exchange.  I have tried to discuss this with BT and Openreach but it seems there is no process by which I can get my connection changed.

This evening, the HH6 went orange and it took another long call and several rests to get the connection going again.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

For adsl connections it does not matter where the cabinet is situated as it is distance from the exchange that counts unlike fibre which is distance from cabinet.  Openreach won't change your connection to a different cabinet - this has been covered often on the forum normally in connection with fibre connections

have you checked there is nothing wired to the incoming phone line maybe at the junction box where the incoming dropwire joins the internal wiring

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
mds4544
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Hi
The drop from the pole goes directly to the master socket and there are no wired extensions at all. The filter is in the test socket with the faceplate disconnected. The HH6 is connected to the filter with the supplied cable and a BT DECT phone base is connected to the filter.

I changed from a HH3 to the current unit last year when these problems were first evident.

Hope that helps as we have had another drop yesterday requiring a reboot.

With thanks
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

does your socket also have MK4 on top front and 2 outlet sockets - broadband and phone?

0 Ratings
mds4544
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

No, it just has the one BT socket.
0 Ratings