cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

FTTH to FTTC (Moving property)

Go to solution

Hello,

I'm moving to another area that does not have FTTH so I will go back to the FTTC days. Because I'm using Unifi gear connected to the Openreach modem for FTTH, I'm looking for a VDSL2 modem capable of 17a, I've checked out eBay for the old Openreach modems BT used to provide before. My question is can I use an ECI VDSL modem if I'm in a Huawei-based cabinet or will there be any issues? Also, how can I tell if I'm connected to a Huawei or ECI cab? 

Ideally, I just want a "dumb modem" to do the L2 bit, leaving the Dream Machine Pro to do the PPP connection.

Thanks

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: FTTH to FTTC (Moving property)

Go to solution

Enter your new address and post results. Leave exchange and cab information 

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL 

The most popular modem appeared to be the HG612

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

"Exchange ESHER is served by Cabinet 12"

VDSL Range A (Clean) 

VDSL Range B (Impacted) 

8063201958.7AvailableAvailable
8061.5201956.2AvailableAvailable

According to that page FTTP is not a priority in the area I'm afraid, hopefully, I can at least have 63 Mbps down. I'm on an FTTP 75/20 at my current address so the loss won't be a lot.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Hopefully you will get nearer the top end of the estimate 

Cabinet 12 is ECI

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks 🙂 I'll get an ECI modem, also how could you tell? I could not find it on the wholesale page.

Also if I use an ASUS router with a VDSL modem built in, would it be any issues? or its recommend using an Openreach-specific modem? 

Thank you 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution
I still run my original HG612 modem (FTTP install due in a couple of weeks) and router purely to keep things separate rather than a router reboot causing a line resync.
0 Ratings