cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Panmaster
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Faulty phone line

I've checked the internet connection at my grandmothers house again and it's still not fixed.

This problem has been ongoing for months now.

The obvious solution here would be to leave BT and move to a ISP that isn't completely and utterly useless but that is not an option as I have no say.

Phoning is a waste of time as the callcenter is staffed with poor english speakers with zero technical knowledge.

How do I get BT to send the SFI engineer that is needed to fix the line fault?

ADSL Line Status

Connection Information

Line state: Connected Connection time: 0 days, 00:16:40 Downstream: 280.6 Kbps Upstream: 1.055 Mbps  

ADSL Settings

VPI/VCI: 0/38 Type: PPPoA Modulation: G.992.5 Annex A Latency type: Interleaved Noise margin (Down/Up): 34.0 dB / 8.0 dB Line attenuation (Down/Up): 37.1 dB / 22.5 dB Output power (Down/Up): 8.4 dBm / 12.8 dBm FEC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 0 CRC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 303 Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0 Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0 Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0 HEC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 13 Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 101 / 63256  

"Ignorance is bliss"
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Faulty phone line

from your previous thread you said that the noise disappeared when filter remove.  if that is the case and you get an engineer you could land your grandmother with a £99 callout bill

looking at the stats the line is in a banded profile hence the low speed and high noise margin.  connection time is only 16hrs is that due to drop in conenction or router being switch off when not in use?

have you tried quiet line test from test socket with new filter?  dial 17070 option 2  should hear nothing and best with corded phone    if cordless then dull hum normal

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

also changing ISP's would not solve a line problem as all ISP's except Cable use the same Openreach infrastructure

a stable connection with no hub restarts is needed for 5 days is needed for you to start lifting out of the banding you need the hub to be powered up 24/7
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Panmaster
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 5

I'll recommend leaving BT for voice and adsl.

(1) the router never used to be turned on 24/7 and the connection was 8mbps down.

(2) now it's on 24/7 and can't stay stable at 280kbps. It loses sync often.

(3) The "quiet line" test is useless. You can't hear adsl frequencies. D'oh!

"Ignorance is bliss"
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

The quiet line test is not listening for adsl frquencies but just plain line noise when making a phone call. If you have any oise on the phone line then that causes massive problems with your broadband causing drops in connection, high noise margin and low connection speed

As already said moving to another ISP will not solve the problem if you have line noise - up to you

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings