cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ronecc
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Fibre to copper, will it improve my Broadband?

Go to solution

I am connected to BT Broadband via copper (I presume). This past month BT Infinity has become available in my village. If I sign up will the internet be any better, as I will still be on copper at my property, or will I just be paying for something that will not improve what I have. The BT Speed test says I am getting approx. 6mb download speed at the moment (even though I cannot watch iPlayer or anything). My property is 12 years old, so, as I mentioned, I presume I am connected by copper.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
stevebrass
Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: Fibre to copper, will it improve my Broadband?

Go to solution

For most people Infinity will be FTTC - fibre to the cabinet, and then copper from the cabinet to the home.

I am intrigued as to why you cannot use IPlayer - 6MB should be more than enough.

Can you give a little more detail  -equipment (Home Hub, TV, computer) etc.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Guru
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Hi ronecc

If your exchange area has been upgraded to FTTC then (depending if your PCP cabinet has been upgraded and connected to a FTTC DSLAM cabinet as aswell) you may be able to get FTTC BT Infinity which is either upto 47mbps or upto 76mbps depending on which package you choose.

You can check the estimated speed for your line via entering your landline number into http://dslchecker.bt.com/adsl

Please then copy and paste the results into a new post, however delete your landline number

With FTTC the speed depends on the "copper" line distance from your FTTC Dslam cab to your property and your line quality

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
ronecc
Beginner
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution
Will do thanks, I am off out for a fw hours, but will reply when I am back
0 Ratings
ronecc
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

My Hub is a BT 2 (I think), the tall, black, curved one. My computer is an Acer laptop with 4GB ram. I am unable to update the video card as Acer have not given one. My wife's laptop is a twelve month old Toshiba with 2GB ram. She also has difficulty watching iplayer etc. Both computers keep buffering or freezing the picture, but still with sound, then suddenly running okay again. I do not use a tv capable to play iplayer etc as I am loath to spend when I am not getting a good picture on the laptops. I can watch it on a Samsung Tablet, so maybe it is just the laptops that are rubbish.

I do not have any trouble using the internet 20 feet away from the hub through glass doors in our garden room, but my wife cannot use hers even with a wi-fi dongle extender.

I have attached a copy of the reading for Infinity for my area. It would appear to be quite good. (to me anyway)

Image1.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution
From your estimates you must be reasonably close to your street cabinet with vey good estimated speeds

If you are having problems with the laptops but have a 6mb connection have you tried changing the wireless channel in case your channel is clashing with your neighbours router? If you connected one of the laptops with ethernet cable does iplayer work a lot better?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
ronecc
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution
I think the street cabinet is about 300 yards away. I will check with the ethernet cable I have tomorrow and see what happens. Do I change the channel in the hub settings? Is any one channel better than another?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution
yes you change the channel in the hub settings you could download a wifi analyser in the app to your tablet and use that to find a clear channel
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution
You can change the wifi by entering 192.168.1.254 into your browser then entering hub manager then wireless and you can change the wifi channel preferably to a channel that is free or different to you near neighbours

You can use this link which will show you the channels in use and free channels. http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/software/insidder.zip

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
ronecc
Beginner
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution
Thank you to you all for your help. It has given me plenty to try in the morning.
0 Ratings