cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
rbN87
Message 1 of 6

For the attention of Mod DavidM - Slow broadband speeds.

Hello. My broadband speed is at 576kbs down and 288kbs up. According to kitz, I'm 2.28km direct from the exchange and my estimated line speeds are 2048kbps on Fixed ASDL and 4500kbps on DSL Max. Those are currently the only 2 options available in my area until FTTC is rolled out next year. In terms of noise attenuation heres the following...

23:00:12, 13 Aug.( 64.430000) ETHoA is up -​ VPI: 0, VCI:35
23:00:12, 13 Aug.( 64.430000) DSL is up
23:00:11, 13 Aug.( 62.980000) DSL noise margin: 25.00 dB upstream, 28.90 dB downstream
23:00:10, 13 Aug.( 62.890000) DSL line rate: 288 Kbps upstream, 576 Kbps downstream
22:59:46, 13 Aug.( 38.130000) WAN Auto-​sensing running.

Running on a BT Home Hub 4. It's been a lot slower running speeds as of recently though it may of been a while though I've been out of the country so unsure. If there's my PC connected and any other device, it pretty much slows to a near stop. Any help that you can give would be massively appreciated. I've contacted BT customer service before to just have line tests run etc... which has been absolutely no help. Hub is connected to the master socket aswell.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: For the attention of Mod DavidM - Slow broadband speeds.

Hi Welcome to the community forums
Here is a basic guide to getting help from the community members done by CL Keith Please read through the link posted http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/speed/first_steps.html
once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

if using a hub 4 locate these lines located in the hub logs
Lines should look like this
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.460000) DSL noise margin: 7.00 dB upstream, 6.10 dB downstream
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.390000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 288 Kbps downstream

Thank You
This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

fromthe stats you have posted that loks like a fixed 0.5mb connection and not adslmax

when was the last time you renewed your contract?  if more than 12months then you need to renew your contract and change to adslmax, get a better connection speed and probably negotiate a better deal and save some money

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
rbN87
Message 4 of 6

Would it specify it my BT account? All I can see at the moment there is that I'm on unlimited broadband with speeds of upto 17mbs. I'll be able to do a speed test soon, unfortunatly can't turn all other devices off the internet at the moment at somebody is revising for an exam.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

when was the last time you renewed your contract - more than 12 months?  there is nowhere where you can see your contract start/end date unless you have some documentation

but does look like old style fixed connection and not adsl2 which is up to 17/18mb

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

fully agree with imjolly about the fixed speed connection
0 Ratings