cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TheGabeMeister
Beginner
Message 1 of 21

From 500kbps to 200kbps & High ping when someone else is using the internet!

Hi,

I've been experiencing issues for a few weeks now; as nothing is getting better I'm going to address what's wrong.

I hope you can help me!

When I first moved to a new house my connection was at least 500-600kbps but as of recent (a couple of months later) I've been receiving around 100-200kbps. This is much slower then before and is not the only issue!

Another issue I've noticed whilst playing online games is that when nobody is on the internet I get around 40 ping which is perfect however as soon as someone else in my family uses the internet it goes straight up from 40 ping to, 400 to 600 ping. I've also noticed the ping fluxuates from high to low randomly.

Can you help fix this?

More Information:

I have performed a 'quiet line check' using the "17070" number, option 2. The line was crystal clear (No noise at all).

I can comfirm that the broadband has been on for more than 3 days.

I've ensured that nothing is downloading in the background and all programs that require an internet connection are closed yet the issues still remain.

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 21

Re: From 500kbps to 200kbps & High ping when someone else is using the internet!

Hi Welcome to the community forums
Here is a basic guide to getting help from the community members done by CL Keith Please read through the link posted http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/speed/first_steps.html
once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

if using a hub 4 locate these lines located in the hub logs
Lines should look like this
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.460000) DSL noise margin: 7.00 dB upstream, 6.10 dB downstream
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.390000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 288 Kbps downstream

Thank You
This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 21

Re: From 500kbps to 200kbps & High ping when someone else is using the internet!

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router you may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or if HH4/5 then go to troubleshooting then logs and you are looking for 2 line together when hub last connected to internet and they will show your connection speed and noise margin or if netgear enter 192.168.0.1). Then run  btspeedtester  (MAC users may have problems). when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post the results ( do not reset the router).

are you connected directly via a filter to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
TheGabeMeister
Beginner
Message 4 of 21

Thank's for the quick reply, I will update the post with the settings as soon as possible. Unfortunately that's in a couple of hours a something has just popped up 🙂
0 Ratings
TheGabeMeister
Beginner
Message 5 of 21

HomeHub.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 21

Can you go back to stats page and show detail and post rest of error information please

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
TheGabeMeister
Beginner
Message 7 of 21

Hub2.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 21

With your attenuation I would expect a connection speed of about 4mb but due to your high noise margin you currently only have 1.7mb. As you have 4days connection time the line is stanle so mods will post a contact us link tomorrow and help get noise margin reset back to normal 6db which will increase our speed. 

contact mods.jpg

After completing the email NOT PM then you join a queue of other customers waiting for mod help. The mods will get back to you in 3/5 working days either by phone or email

0 Ratings
TheGabeMeister
Beginner
Message 9 of 21

Thank you for the help! Where do I find "BTCare Community Forums / About"?

this is what I see:

whatIsee.png

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 21

No 

you need to wait on a mod posting an invite to 'contact the mods' just as I showed in my previous post. Need to check back tomorrow

0 Ratings