cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 14

Getting rid of adsl filter

Go to solution

I have recently migrated to BT hybrid broadband and digital phone, which means that I no longer have a phone plugged into my landline, but I still have to have a filter into which my Home Hub is connected. As my master socket is 1.5 metres from the floor I find the dangling filter unsightly. Does anyone know if it’s possible to get the master socket adapted to just have a data outlet socket for the hub?

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Re: Getting rid of adsl filter

Go to solution

@bayardmm 

What does your master phone socket look like? It will be 1-4 if you only have a single outlet.

Keith_Beddoe_0-1644489638958.jpeg

Keith_Beddoe_1-1644489638993.jpeg

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution

You can either change the faceplate for a filtered faceplate which has 2 sockets, an RJ11 for the hub and BT431 for a phone. Alternatively source an RJ11 - BT431 patch lead.

Message 4 of 14

Go to solution

My socket is similar to 3

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

to get rid of filter you need a master socket like 4/5/6

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

@bayardmm wrote:

My socket is similar to 3

Not sure which one that is, but you should be able to remove that front section, and fit a faceplate like this. But the phone side would not be used. I assume you do not have any other internal wiring.

@licquorice  idea is probably best, provided you can find a cable with the correct pin configuration to present the broadband signal to the home hub input.

clipboard_image_0.jpeg

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution

@licquorice 

Thanks for pm,  very useful information.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 14

Upgrading master socket

Go to solution

As I’m tethered to VOIP with Hybrid broadband, would it be possible to upgrade my bt master socket to a broadband only socket to avoid any form of filtering?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 14

Re: Upgrading master socket

Go to solution

Your question has been answered, you do not need any form of filtering any more. Just use a conversion cable as already suggested.

I am not aware of a RJ11 faceplate that will plug into the master socket test socket. You would have to replace the whole assembly with a wall mounted RJ11 socket, and that would mean disconnecting the Openreach master socket, which has surge protection incorporated.

If Openreach had to visit, they would not be able to test the line from that new socket, and may raise a charge.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 14

Re: Upgrading master socket

Go to solution

Since I posted my original question I saw an item about the openreach nte5c socket. I know I may be over egging the pudding, but would that be a feasible solution?

0 Ratings