cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
markie1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Going round in circles getting my elderly/disabled father's line off a 1mb capped line (supposedly).

Go to solution

I hope someone can help in trying to get this 'mess' sorted out.

My father switched to BT on 15th August. He lives in a rural location but was getting approx 7mbps download with the previous provider.

Once the switch had happened, his broadband speed plummeted to just under 1mbps and has stayed there ever since. 

Having phoned BT, was on the phone waiting to be answered for well over an hour. Once answered, was given the runaround with the call centre (checking homehub, master socket, etc.). This didn't do anything so an engineer was called. He couldn't find any fault and said it was his understanding that the line had been capped at 1mpbs.

India was called again (another hour plus wait) who insisted no line cap was in place. The operative said he could see a fault on the line this time and another engineer was arranged. Despite waiting in all day, no-one turned up !

Another hour wait to get hold of someone, all the checks were done again, and finally another engineer's appointment was confirmed.

The engineer luckily turned up this time, but said there is no fault on the line (it should be fine for at least 6mbps from his testing) and that the line is definitely capped. He said the BT diagnostics centre (whatever that is) can now see the line fixed at 1mb. Apparently, this is not a technical issue but most likely with records. He also suggested cancelling the contract and starting again to get rid of this ?????

After a long wait on the phone again to get this resolved, was told there is no line cap in place !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please can a moderator look into this for me to get this sorted out. My father, due to mobility issues, uses the internet as his main source of entertainment and the speed he is getting is having an adverse effect on his netflix viewing, etc. with buffering and so forth.

I have not been impressed with the runaround he has got with all of this. It has really stressed him out and he doesn't need the hassle at his age.

I would be very grateful if someone could suggest what to do next. Thank you in advance.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Re: Going round in circles getting my elderly/disabled father's line off a 1mb capped line (supposed

Go to solution

Hi @markie1,

Thanks for getting in touch.

It sounds as if we've placed an order for up to 8 Mbps but our suppliers, BT Wholesale, have put you on an up to 1 Mbps product. Resetting the profile wouldn't help, we need to place an order directly with our supplier to get it changed.

This does sound like something that we can help you with. You can get in touch with us by clicking on my user name and then on contact the mods. We'll look into it and do our best to help you.

Please do not arrange to have your line cancelled as the engineer suggested. That could make it a lot worse.

Thank you

DanielS

Community ModeratorDannyS
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
markie1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 14

Re: Going round in circles getting my elderly/disabled father's line off a 1mb capped line (supposed

Go to solution

Thanks for quick reply. I've submitted the details requested. Please keep me updated.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution
The mods will contact you personally by email or phone the normal waiting time is 3/5 working days after you send in the contact form
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

You are very welcome @markie1.

As @john46 says, it can take 3-5 working days for us to reply to you. The change in service can take up to the same amount of time so I've placed it for you now. That should mean that when we're contacting you, it should be to tell you all is done rather than we're just placing the order for you. I hope this will help your Father.

Thanks

DanielS

Show your appreciation!
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Highlighted
markie1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

Thanks for your help DanielS - much appreciated.

Message 7 of 14

Go to solution

Hi @markie1,

After a lot of back and forth with our suppliers I've been able to get you onto our ADSL Max service which should allow you to get speeds close to 7 Mbps. You should notice the change immediately. I'll call you on Monday to make sure your connection has been stable over the weekend.

Thanks

DanielS

Show your appreciation!
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
markie1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

Hi,

Thanks for the update and for all the help you've given - much appreciated.

My dad is still getting less than 2mbps download. He got that on Thursday when he tested and several times from Friday onwards. He has now tested it several times over the weekend using speedtest.btwholesale.com site with similar results.

His router stats from the homehub are follows:

Firmware version: v0.07.03.30329-BT (Type B)

Last updated 17/8/2016 

Board version: 01A 5. DSL

Data Rate: 448 / 8128 

Maximum Data Rate: 1336 / 10584 

Noise Margin: 31.0 / 12.1 

Line Attenuation: 1.0 / 0.0

Signal Attenuation: 0.0 / 0.0

He literally lives approx 50m from the exchange; it is basically at the bottom of his garden !

He has had approx 7mbps download speed with previous supplier (PlusNet) and, the same, with BT year before (in that year his speed plummeted to below 1mbps, but was found to be a loose connection at the exchange, if I can remember correctly, which was rectified). His next door neighbour gets approx 7mbps. The engineer who came recently said there was no fault with the line and he should get between 6-8mbps no problem.

I have just looked at dslchecker.bt.com for his telephone number and it says there is ADSL Max available and 2Mbps fixed connection.

Is he still on the fixed connection? If not, why has his speed not increased?

I would really appreciate it if you could investigate this further for me and hopefully sort out what the issue is.

Many thanks. I have also told him you may phone tomorrow (Monday), but he will be out from approx 11 am til 3 p.m.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution
Can you use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution
you are on adsl max it looks like a possible stuck IP Profile which the mods should be able to get reset for you it happens a lot on adsl max especially on good lines
0 Ratings