cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rarafarara
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

HELP - is 0.3Mb really the best broadband speed I can get?!

Broadband SOS!

I recently moved house and took my BT Broadband with me (I am on an Unlimited tariff but not Infinity). The best speed I have managed to achieve in the new house during the last 4 weeks is 0.3Mb! Needless to say, downloading or streaming anything is not even worth considering. I have tried all the different phone sockets in the house, each time trying two different ADSL filters, and each time connecting via Ethernet cable (in case it was my wireless set-up at fault). But my speed tests always consistently come back at between 0.2Mb and 0.3Mb. (I was getting 5-8Mb from BT at my old house.)

I contacted BT about the speed, and they told me that I have a fault on my line. That fault has apparently now been resolved, but I am not seeing any improvement. There was one afternoon, when I could see the engineer out my window, when I had a sudden spike and got a whole 2Mb. It only lasted for about 30 mins until he moved on, but made me think that it must be possible to get it faster.

Not sure how to proceed from here. I have spoken to the neighbours and whilst the broadband speeds around here have never been great, I should be able to expect 2-5Mb. Can BT allocate me a different line? Is there any point in considering an upgrade to Infinity? Or should I just switch to a different provider? And if I do the latter, will they have the same problems if their service is reliant on a BT line? (There are no Virgin lines nearby, so fibre optic is not an option.)

I am not at all tech savvy, so happy to post router stats if it helps as long as someone can talk a girl through it 🙂 Any ideas?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: HELP - is 0.3Mb really the best broadband speed I can get?!

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) and run  btspeedtester  (MAC users may have problems). when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post the results .

are you connected directly via a filter to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
rarafarara
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Thanks imjolly. ADSL stats below. I am connected via a filter to the master socket (am guessing it is master as it is the only one that says BT Open Reach on it......??). Just did the quiet line test from a corded phone and getting a slight hum although I'd always put that down to being an old phone..........

Thanks 🙂

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 00:28:25
Downstream:285.7 Kbps
Upstream:873.9 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.3 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):6.9 dB / 6.3 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):53.3 dB / 33.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up):15.3 dBm / 12.6 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):1060 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

do you have a test socket as shown in my previous post?  if so can you connect to that and repost your stats please

do you have other sockets?  if so is everything connected via a filters especially sky if you have it

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
rarafarara
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

Sorry, here are stats from test socket:

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 00:00:20
Downstream:287.6 Kbps
Upstream:904.2 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.3 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):6.0 dB / 6.4 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):53.4 dB / 32.8 dB
Output power (Down/Up):17.8 dBm / 12.6 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 15
CRC Events (Down/Up):0 / 40
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 8
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):6 / 3

We have other phone sockets but they are not used. Our Sky is not connected to BB at the moment.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

I was more concerned with the sky phone connection which many people forget needs to be filtered and aften assume the phone doubler on the sky is also a filter

0 Ratings
rarafarara
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

No, sky is not hooked up to the phone line at all (yet, I do plan to get around to it at some point......) so only things connected are phone and home hub.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

if you are in the test socket with a new filter and quiet line test is ok then I would suggest you remain connected to the test socket for the next 3 days and then repost your stats.  you are currently in a banded profile due to all your resets as your tried all the different permutations to improve your conenction.

switching to infinity if available then that would more than likely solve your problem whereas changing ISP is unlikely to help as your broadband will still be on same sat of copper wires from the exchange

0 Ratings
rarafarara
Beginner
Message 9 of 10

Thanks for the advice - happy to wait 3 more days with it in test socket and repost but it has been 4 weeks now and speed is consistently low. Not sure what a banded profile is or what impact being in one has on people being able to advise further (sorry, not at all techie), but based on the information provided so far is it safe to say the problem is with the line/exchange and not at my end?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

a banded profile normally happens if your connection drops often or is reset often in a short space of time and the exchange equipment sees this as your line in serious problems and puts your connection into a band until the line stabilises.  the banding should release if you can maintain connection 24/7 for 3/5 days

0 Ratings