Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
D3
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 14

HH2 wifi issues

Go to solution

For the past week or two, my homehub 2 has been having a few issues with wifi.

Sometimes, all connected devices just stop being able to transfer any data with the homehub as if they have no internet connection.

The other issure I've been having is that sometimes any device I try to connect with cannot connect. For example, my Samsung Galaxy S II, a wireless N enabled device, will get to "obtaining IP address" and then the connection process will start over again.

Most of the time, restarting the homehubr fixes the problems temporarily but never for more than a day.

I'm certain the wireless settings on the homehub are correct as it used to work with no problems at all, and signal quality isn't an issue:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11779337/bt/SC20120212-163937.png

and neither is channel interference:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11779337/bt/SC20120212-163913.png

However, even when the wireless connection is working, it's a lot slower than it used to be.

Whereas I used to get 20mbps over wifi on my Galaxy S II, I now get just 3:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11779337/bt/SC20120212-164057.png

even though my computer, which is connected to the homehub with an ethernet cable, has no issues with the connection dropping or the speed of the connection:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11779337/bt/1768692790.png

I already emailed BT about it but the person who got back to me misunderstood my email and thought my broadband connection was dropping, when it's just a wifi issue I'm having.

If it's important, I'm on BT Infinity.

Is this a common problem with the homehub 2? Is it just the homehub getting a bit old?

If so, will BT replace the homehub or charge me for a new one? If so, are there any alternatives to the Homehub 3.0 other than the TP-Link TD-W8960N I've seen suggested elsewhere on the forum? I don't feel like forking out £99 for a homehub 3 if the TP-Link TD-W8960N can be had for £37 on amazon and seems to have less complaints about it.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: HH2 wifi issues

Go to solution

Its a common problem with all the home hubs apart from the original home hub 1.

There is some help here, I know you have tried some already Wireless Help

The document also mentions using static ips Static IP with Home Hub

Its best to remove your fault reference as its a public forum, and could be used by someone else.

The TP-Link TD-W8960N is a better device according to the forum feedback.

D3
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply, I'll give the static IP a go and if that doesn't solve the problems I guess I'll have to buy a TP-Link TD-W8960N.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution

@D3 wrote:

Thanks for the reply, I'll give the static IP a go and if that doesn't solve the problems I guess I'll have to buy a TP-Link TD-W8960N.

You could just try an alternative wireless access point plugged into the hub. Do you have an old wireless router?

D3
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

Unfortunately not. I threw out my old router once I switched to BT (that router only supported 802.11b/g, not n so I thought it was pretty much obsolete anyway)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

@D3 wrote:

Unfortunately not. I threw out my old router once I switched to BT (that router only supported 802.11b/g, not n so I thought it was pretty much obsolete anyway)

There is nothing wrong with 802.11b/g.

Well you have the choice of trying an alternative wireless access point like the one I suggested, or buying the other router.

If the wireless access point did not make things better, then its worth keeping it anyway, in case you need a repeater or client, to connect to a non-wifi device. Its also cheaper than another router.

The HH2 is still a good router. I use a HH1 on my network below, with no issues, once I stopped using the HH1 wireless.

Home Network.jpg

D3
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution

Yes there's nothing wrong with 802.11b/g but as most of my devices can use 802.11n, I see no reason to use b/g over n. I also agree that the HH2 is a good router, but I need a stable wireless connection, instead of having to keep going downstairs and turning it off and on again.

The static IP suggestion unfortunately hasn't solved my issues.

I only have 1 device using the ethernet ports on my homehub, am I right in assuming I won't need an ethernet switch, just the wireless access point and my desktop computer connected to the homehub's ethernet ports?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

@D3 wrote:

I only have 1 device using the ethernet ports on my homehub, am I right in assuming I won't need an ethernet switch, just the wireless access point and my desktop computer connected to the homehub's ethernet ports?

No, the switch is only what I needed for my network because of the NAS and the BT Vision box.

You can connect it straight to the home hub 2, but turn the HH2 wireless off.

The device I specified, has a reliable wireless performance. I have mixed g and n wireless devices and it works fine.

You can also set it to use multiple SSIDS, and specify your own DNS servers if you wish.

Just follow the instructions on my website carefully, and don`t connect it to the home hub until it is configured, as its default IP address is the same as the hubs.

If you save the access.bin file on my website, to the computer that you are going to use to configure the device, you can just load in in, and the rest is done for you.

Any problems then let me know. There a quite a number of people using these devices as repeaters and access points.

D3
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

If I've understood correctly, I connect it directly to my computer, set it up, then connect it to the homehub?

Are these the instructions you were referring to? http://www.btinternet.com/~cbeddoe/wa701nd/wa701nd.htm

What is the range on this access point like compared to the range of the HH2? According to the product information on Amazon the range on the TL-WA701ND is 200 meters, but I know that'll be significantly reduced by the walls in the house. As long as it's equal to or better than the HH2 range (which I can't seem to find info about) it should be fine for my needs.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution

@D3 wrote:

If I've understood correctly, I connect it directly to my computer, set it up, then connect it to the homehub?

Are these the instructions you were referring to? http://www.btinternet.com/~cbeddoe/wa701nd/wa701nd.htm

What is the range on this access point like compared to the range of the HH2? According to the product information on Amazon the range on the TL-WA701ND is 200 meters, but I know that'll be significantly reduced by the walls in the house. As long as it's equal to or better than the HH2 range (which I can't seem to find info about) it should be fine for my needs.

Yes, they are the instructions.

You have to temporarily set a static address on your computer, so you can access the device to start with.

Then you go int the system menu and load the default access.bin configuration file, which is in the access folder on my website. The device will re-boot, then you can access it via the IP address 192.168.1.15, and change the SSID and wireless password to whatever you wish.

Read the manual, which is also on the website.

As the new IP address does not interfere with the hub, you can plug it in to the Ethernet port.

You can access it anytime to make any changes by going to http://192.168.1.15

Range is very good, and because it has an external connector, you can plug in a higher gain aerial if you wish.

TP Link do an 8dB one, which I use.

Access points are limited to 100mW output, so performance is dependent on the aerial, which is only an internal one on the HH2.

You will have to re-enter the new WiFi details on your devices.