cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Halved Speed and unstable ping.

Go to solution

Hello,

I was on the phone with BT about this issue where my speed have been halved from 20 mbps to 10 mbps.

Not sure what went wrong. They told me that the minimum guarantee for my package is 6 mbps however for the past 2 years I've been getting 20 mbps all the time.

All of a sudden today my DSL connection crashed and it reconnect now with half the speed that I usually get.

Georgio_0-1605628646225.png

The noise margin seems to be high.

Any suggestions on what to do?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Halved Speed and unstable ping.

Go to solution

can you post hub stats

check for line noise as something is dropping your connection. Dial 17070 option 2 should be silent and best with corded phone preferably from test socket 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Hello,

Thank you for the reply.

I do not have a phone to use the phone line.

Here are the stats:

Georgio_0-1605629667800.png

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Update on the situation.

BT said that they will send an engineer on the 19/11/2020 so that they can see the problem because this is not normal.

Ping spikes and internet keeps crashing.

Tried different sockets at home but still the same slow speed that I do not normally get.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

The most basic check when you have problems with your broadband is ensure your landline is working with a dial tone and then do quiet line test as noise is the normal reason for a poor/dropping connection. If you don't have a phone you try borrowing one although cheap corded phone is less than £10

hopefully problem not on your side of test socket and you end up getting charged for engineer visit

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

I never asked BT to send an engineer, BT said they will send an engineer because they seem to believe that there is an issue that they saw when testing my connection.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

You would have been advised of a possible charge by the CS advisor  if problem is outside your home then there is no charge

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

I was not advised of any charges that I may have.

I am sure they got it on recording and they can play it back if they decide to charge me 🙂

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Update: They fixed the fault, whatever that was.

Speed back to normal 🙂

0 Ratings